Training for supervisors: role, feedback & delegation [TG4/Supervisor]
*THIS EVENT IS NOW FULL. NEW BOOKINGS WILL BE ADDED TO A WAITING LIST*
Most libraries have a supervisor role, but managing staff day-to-day without being their line manager is a tricky business. How do you delegate, share knowledge and skills and correct errors when it can seem like you have no real authority?
This 3-hour session clarifies the role & responsibilities of the supervisor, giving clear guidelines for the basic functions of supervising staff, as well as tips for delegating, upskilling, giving feedback and dealing with challenges to your role.
We aim to have a fun, participatory session, based around real concerns and situations brought up on the course.
Role and Delegation:
- Intros: supervisor problems
- Talk: your source of authority
- Chat: checklist of supervisor role
- Talk: the delegation cycle
- Group work: actions at each stage
After listing common supervisor problems, there is a short presentation on the support supervisors can use when supervising staff. We go on to discuss a checklist of supervisor roles and style (empowering, encouraging, overseeing etc) which leads naturally into a discussion of the delegation cycle from setting a task to performance review. Each stage of this is analysed in breakout groups to come up with a good practice guide for delegation.
Feedback, Training & Challenges:
- Group work: Bad news exercise
- Chat: how to give feedback
- Exercise: training skills
- Debrief: training and upskilling
- Chat: challenges to your role
Coming back from the break, we go into a fun ‘how NOT to give feedback’ exercise, which leads into a discussion on corrective feedback which can be empowering and productive We then look at training/coaching via a demonstration exercise by the trainer which is debriefed for good upskilling skills. Finally we look at ways in which staff can challenge the supervisor role, and how to deal with these positively.
About the trainer:
Ash Charlton has delivered very successful and enjoyable HR and diversity-related courses and facilitated sessions for over 20 years. He has extensive experience with local authorities, universities and charities as well as international NGOs and the UN. The Sunday Times described his style as ‘participatory, fun and respectful’.
Information for joining:
- This session is virtual and will run via Zoom. Once your booking has been confirmed, joining instructions will be emailed the day before the event.
- The trainer is Ash Charlton –https://www.acetrainingcourses.co.uk/
- Electronic CPD attendance certificates can be provided on request. Please request via email@example.com
£50.00 non-member institutions.
Cancellations less than one week before the event will be charged a 50% cancellation fee. In the event of a ‘no-show’ on the day, the full fee will be charged.
*THIS EVENT IS NOW FULL. NEW BOOKINGS WILL BE ADDED TO A WAITING LIST* To book a place on the waiting list, please use our online booking form