Time Management for Staff working in the Information and Library Business [Event Ref. No. TG4/TM]
Time management for staff working in the information and library business, with trainer Ash Charlton.
Feedback from previous participants:
‘Ash was an excellent presenter – with a good mix of theory and examples’
‘Really useful, with lots of practical ideas for saving and managing time’
‘Everyone should come on this!’
This one-day course will show you how to make the most effective use of limited time, give tips on minimising timewasting activities (e.g. constant interruptions, meetings etc) and show you how to forward plan for larger pieces of work. It is aimed at all levels of staff who have to manage and prioritise their own workload.
• To examine some of the organisational problems which restrict good time management practice, and consider potential ways forward on these
• To understand good time management practice concerning prioritisation, delegation and organisation of workload
• To be given tools for breaking procrastination, and starting difficult projects
• To understand basic communication styles for protecting time
9.30 – 10.00: Registration and coffee
10.00 – 11.20:
• Introductions, housekeeping, expectations, ground rules
• Time management nightmare
• Time management values
• Procrastination: what is your pattern?
• Breaking patterns of procrastination
• Using delegation and co-operation
11.20 – 11.40: Break
11.40 – 1.00:
• Working without priority: exercise
• Prioritisation: the "Kim" method: setting and focussing on goals
• Prioritisation exercise: using diaries effectively
• Using prioritisation to manage work and not overcommit
• Dealing with time-devourers
1.00 – 2.00pm: Lunch
2.00 – 3.00:
• Aggressive/passive/assertive body language and tone
• Saying “no” exercise
• Debrief saying “no”
3.00 – 3.20: Break
3.20 – 4.30:
• Long-term work planning: diagram of forces
• Constructing the diagram
• Generating activities
• Building the plan.
Venue: Room B202, Brunei Gallery, SOAS
Venue website: http://www.soas.ac.uk/visitors/location/
Please note that there are limited places available for this event.
To book a place please use our online booking form or email the administrator via firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost: £120 for CPD25 members and £150 for other institutions.
Cancellations less than one week before the event will be charged a 50% cancellation fee. In the event of a ‘no-show’ on the day, the full fee will be charged.