Managing Student Behaviour [TG4/MSB]
Date(s) - 30/04/2019
10:00 am - 4:30 pm
The London Mathematical Society
Twitter: @cpd25_M25 #cpd25
The 21st century university library is regarded as a ‘safe place’ and space to ‘feel at home’ for many students. Alongside traditional resources, the library may replicate the comfort of a modern entertainment hub with cafés, big screen areas and comfy seating; but what behaviour is acceptable can be unclear in these varied environments. Frontline staff are also faced with increased demands from students paying a high cost for education.
We will examine approaches to managing student behaviour supportively and collaboratively, while maintaining an appropriate environment for learning and teaching support.
This workshop is ideal for front-line library staff, library supervisors and student services staff. Attendees will have a chance to network and share best practice with peers and professionals.
The day will be led by Ash Charlton, Director of Ace Training, who has been working with academic libraries for over 20 years.
The morning session will cover the changing pressures on the student population, and recommend effective strategies for setting boundaries and challenging difficult behaviour. These include practical recommendations for layout and signage, as well as skills in creating a conflict-free setting.
In the afternoon we go into more detail about different types of conflict, agreeing standards of positive language use, raising awareness of cultural issues that may affect communication, and making recommendations for challenging unacceptable behaviour.
At all times the emphasis will be on positive outcomes: promoting the well-being of staff while creating a stress- and conflict- free environment for students.
9.30am Registration opens
10.00 – 11.15am
• Introductions, housekeeping, expectations, ground rules
• Advocacy exercise: why do people do the things they do?
• Group work: how best to approach the issue
• Debrief: general values for positively managing student behaviour
11.15-11.30am Coffee break
11.30am – 1.00pm
• Discussion: beginning well – the 3 S’s
• Presentation/discussion: layout and signage
• Discussion – body language and attention
• Cultural differences in communication
1.00-2pm Lunch break
2.00 – 3.00pm
• Clear communication: messages most likely to get co-operation
• Conflict scenarios: the win/win approach – handbag exercise
• Debrief for conflict resolving techniques
• Case studies: conflict scenarios
• Practice session
2.30 – 2.45pm Tea break
2.45 – 4.30pm
•When it all fails: gears approach
• Difficult situations: using the gears approach
• Closing techniques
• Specific issues
4.30pm Course ends
£200 for Members
£300 for Other Institutions
Cancellations less than one week before the event will be charged a 50% cancellation fee. In the event of a ‘no-show’ on the day, the full fee will be charged.
*THIS EVENT IS NOW FULL. NEW BOOKINGS WILL BE ADDED TO A WAITING LIST*
To book a place on the waiting list, please use our online booking form.