Applying to study Library and Information Science [TG1/LIS]
Are you interested in becoming an information professional? This event brings together a range of speakers to inspire you and give you an insight into the experience of “going to Library School”.
At lunch time, there will be a course fair with opportunities to meet representatives from some of the main UK courses. It’s a great networking opportunity, giving you the chance to meet with peers and get answers to any questions you have about the whole process. In the afternoon, you will be able to hear from recently qualified professionals and a panel of current LIS students.
09:30-10:00 – Registration and refreshments
10:00-12:30 – Morning session
Speakers will talk about why you should consider studying Library and Information Science, and what you can gain from the experience. This year’s speakers are:
– Lyn Robinson, Head of Library & Information Science, City, University of London
– Charles Inskip, Programme Director, Department of Information Studies, UCL
– Paula Goodale, Lecturer, University of Sheffield
– Geoff Walton, Senior Lecturer, Manchester Metropolitan University
– Pauline Rafferty, Aberystwyth University
12:30–14:00 – Lunch and Course Fair
Stalls from LIS courses and a chance to meet other delegates
14:00–16:30 – Afternoon session
Qualified professionals will talk about their experience after qualification. Including:
– Dave Puplett, Head of Library Services, University of Greenwich
– Lucy Sinclair, Assistant Librarian, Surrey & Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust
– Amy Rippon, Academic Engagement Librarian, University of Roehampton
They will then join a panel of current and recent library school students, talking about their experiences and taking questions.
London Mathematical Society
£135 for members
£200 for other institutions
Cancellations less than one week before the event will be charged a 50% cancellation fee. In the event of a ‘no-show’ on the day, the full fee will be charged.
To book a place please use our online booking form.