New Managers Series 3
[B]cpd25 – New Managers Series
SOAS Brunei Gallery, room B211
23rd January, 9.15-4.30pm.
6th February, 9.15-4.30pm.
27th February, 9.15-4.30pm.[/B]
The programme consists of three, one-day workshops and has been specifically designed for staff in academic libraries and information services who have some limited experience of managing or supervising staff. This course is also suitable for those new to a management role or with experience and wanting to refresh their skills. The three sessions are linked and previous participants found this approach to be particularly helpful, allowing issues and questions raised during one session to be covered in subsequent workshops.
The sessions are intended to be practical. Participants will be encouraged to share ideas and approaches to identify individual service action plans, which can be implemented on their return to work. Participants must be able to attend all three sessions and be prepared to carry out short practical assignments between the sessions.
• To help participants to identify the key elements of managing and supporting staff in the context of change
• To give practical help in achieving results through others, management skills and styles, managing effective teams, managing performance, dealing with difficult situations and managing your own development.
• To allow an exchange of ideas and experience across different institutions
• To share good practice from within library and information services and elsewhere
• To improve individual skills and self confidence
• To encourage a problem solving approach through the preparation of individual and service action plans
1. Management skills and styles
• The challenge of management in the context of rapid change
• Management skills and styles
• Practical work on
• Practical work for Day 2
2. Leading successful teams
• The manager’s responsibility for leading successful teams: Model of team leadership
• Team challenge: Practical exercise in small groups
• Introduction to group dynamics
Team life cycle
Individual roles and responsibilities
Keeping teams on track
• Managing distributed and ‘virtual’ teams
• Dealing with difficult and sensitive issues in teams
• Practical work for Day 3
3. Managing performance
• Developing a positive approach to negative performance
Exploring a framework for dealing with ‘poor performance’
The assertive manager: Giving constructive feedback and other techniques
Dealing with difficult and sensitive issues: case studies
• Managing upwards: A practical session on negotiating and influencing skills
• Managing ourselves: What next?
• Programme evaluation and end of session
Cost for the series is £240 for cpd25 members, and £320 for other institutions, including lunch and refreshments on all three days.
Please note that there are limited places available for this event. Cancellations less than one week before the event will be charged a 50% cancellation fee. In the event of a ‘no-show’ on the day, the full fee will be charged.
Please book online at www.cpd25.ac.uk/booking
Or contact Dave Puplett: firstname.lastname@example.org