New Managers Series 3: Managing Performance
Date(s) - 24/03/2009
New Managers Series
New Managers 1: Management Skills and Styles
Tuesday 24th February 2009; Brunei Gallery, SOAS, Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square
New Managers 2: Leading Successful Teams
Tuesday 10th March 2009; Clore Management Cenrte, Birkbeck College, London
New Managers 3: Managing Performance
Tuesday 24th March 2009; Brunei Gallery, SOAS, Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square
The programme consists of three one-day workshops, and has been specifically designed for staff in academic libraries and information services who have some limited experience of managing or supervising staff. This course is also suitable for those new to a management role, or those with experience wishing to refresh their skills. Whilst we welcome bookings for individual sessions, the three workshops are linked; previous participants found this approach to be particularly helpful, allowing issues and questions raised during one session to be covered in subsequent workshops.
The sessions are intended to be practical. Participants will be encouraged to share ideas and approaches to identify individual service action plans, which can be implemented on their return to work.
• To help participants to identify the key elements of managing and supporting staff in the context of change
• To give practical help in achieving results through others, management skills and styles, managing effective teams, managing performance, dealing with difficult situations and managing your own development.
• To allow an exchange of ideas and experience across different institutions
• To share good practice from within library and information services and elsewhere
• To improve individual skills and self confidence
• To encourage a problem solving approach through the preparation of individual and service action plans
1. Management skills and styles
• The challenge of management in the context of rapid change
• Management skills and styles
• Practical work on
• Practical work for Day 2
2. Leading successful teams
• The manager’s responsibility for leading successful teams: Model of team leadership
• Team challenge: Practical exercise in small groups
• Introduction to group dynamics
Team life cycle
Individual roles and responsibilities
Keeping teams on track
• Managing distributed and ‘virtual’ teams
• Dealing with difficult and sensitive issues in teams
• Practical work for Day 3
3. Managing performance
• Developing a positive approach to negative performance
Exploring a framework for dealing with ‘poor performance’
The assertive manager: Giving constructive feedback and other techniques
Dealing with difficult and sensitive issues: case studies
• Managing upwards: A practical session on negotiating and influencing skills
• Managing ourselves: What next?
• Programme evaluation and end of session
Cost for the series is £280 for cpd25 members, and £385 for other institutions, including lunch and refreshments on all three days.
To attend only one in the series, the cost is £100 for cpd25 members and £145 for external delegates.
Please note that there are limited places available for this event. Cancellations less than one week before the event will be charged a 50% cancellation fee. In the event of a ‘no-show’ on the day, the full fee will be charged.