New Managers 3: Managing Performance
cpd25 – New Managers Series
SOAS Brunei Gallery
22nd January, 9.30-4.30pm.
5th February, 9.30-4.30pm.
26th February, 9.30-4.30pm.
The programme consists of three, one-day workshops and has been specifically designed for staff in academic libraries and information services who have some limited experience of managing or supervising staff. This course is also suitable for those new to a management role or with experience and wanting to refresh their skills. The three sessions are linked although it is possible to attend just one or two rather than all three sessions. The sessions are intended to be practical. Participants will be encouraged to share ideas and approaches to identify individual service action plans, which can be implemented on their return to work.
• To provide a co-ordinated training programme which reflects the specific needs of Library and Information Services staff within Higher Education
• To help participants to identify the key elements of managing and supporting staff in the context of change
• To give practical help in achieving results through others, management skills and styles, managing effective teams, managing performance and dealing with difficult situations
• To share good practice from within library and information services and elsewhere and encourage the exchange of ideas and experience
• To improve individual skills and self confidence and help people to manage their own personal and professional development.
• To encourage a problem solving approach through the preparation of individual and service action plans
• Developing a positive approach to negative performance
Exploring a framework for dealing with ‘poor performance
The assertive manager: Giving constructive feedback and other techniques
Dealing with difficult and sensitive issues: case studies
• Managing upwards: A practical session on negotiating and influencing skills
• What next? Managing our own personal and professional development.
• Programme evaluation and end of session
Bookings are welcome for the entire course or for any of the single day sessions. The price for the entire course is £275 for cpd25 members or £375 for other institutions. The single sessions cost £100 for cpd25 members and £140 for non-members.
To book please complete the online booking form
or email Suzy Ball email@example.com
Please note that there are limited places available for this event. Cancellations less than one week before the event will be charged a 50% cancellation fee. In the event of a ‘no-show’ on the day, the full fee will be charged