Moving Beyond Management: Lessons For Aspiring Leaders – Day 1 [Event Ref. No. TG4/MBM]
Cpd25 is delighted to offer this original opportunity to staff already in a management role. This programme of three full-day sessions is aimed at managers with some experience, who are looking to develop their skills with a view to moving into a more senior role.
The sessions will address current and future challenges within Higher Education and will include:
* Defining the difference between leadership and management
* Cultivating a strategic approach though exploring a leadership toolkit
* Developing skills, self-confidence and resilience to help us to thrive in challenging situations
* Exploring future career possibilities, including how to maintain our personal and professional development
* Exchanging ideas and experience in a supportive and confidential environment
The sessions will be facilitated by Jackie Kernaghan, a freelance Development Consultant focusing on leadership and management development, mediation and research and analysis of HR issues. Jackie brings 10 years experience in the HE sector in staff development roles with a primary focus on supporting managers to enhance team performance and manage change. The programme will incorporate practical exercises and case studies to help participants to translate their learning into practical action. Each session will also include a guest speaker who will develop and explore the theme of the day as well as sharing their own experience.
The three sessions are:
Session 1: Moving Beyond Management
Tuesday, 5th February 2013
• Welcome and introductions; Defining and refining the agenda
• Leadership or management? Defining the difference; Practical exercise and discussion; Leadership timeline
• Tough times ahead: Identifying our challenges and concerns
• Understanding the big picture: The importance of strategic thinking; Guest speaker: Anne Poulson, Director of Students and Education Support, King’s College London
• Taking a strategic approach: Leadership toolkit
• ‘Homework’ for day 2 and action planning.
Session 2: When the wind blows …
Tuesday, 26th February 2013
• Welcome back and recap
• You have inherited a challenge: Case study; Taking a positive approach to negative situations
• Building resilience in an increasingly turbulent world; Guest speaker: Sally Faith, Head of Library Planning and Administration, University of Sussex
• Acting as a catalyst for change: Practical work and discussion
• Bouncing back; Practical work on developing our own resilience and self confidence
• ‘Homework’ for day 3 and action planning.
Session 3: Focus on the Future – Leading for performance and potential
Tuesday, 19th March 2013
• Welcome back and recap
• Managing performance and potential; Case study and discussion
• Achieving results through others; Practical work on improving our visibility and influencing others
• Making it happen; Guest speaker: Matthew Lawson, Assistant Director, Library Services,
• Looking to the future: Maintaining our skills and self confidence; Finding sources of personal and professional development
• What next? Action planning session
• Action summary and end of programme.
Venue: Room B211, Brunei Gallery at SOAS: http://www.soas.ac.uk/visitors/location/
Registration is from 9.30am with the course starting at 9.45pm.
Please note that places are limited and that no more than two people per organisation are able to attend in order to keep the balance of the programme as open as possible.
To book a place please use our online booking form or email the administrator via firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost: £400 for cpd25 members and £600 for other institutions.
Cancellations less than one week before the event will be charged a 50% cancellation fee. In the event of a ‘no-show’ on the day, the full fee will be charged.