Moving Beyond Management: Lessons For Aspiring Leaders 1 of 3 [Event Ref. No. TG4/MBM]
Date(s) - 04/02/2015
9:30 am - 4:00 pm
Twitter – #cpd25MBM
Are you a manager who would like to develop your leadership skills? Would you also like to hear about the experiences of senior managers who currently work in libraries? If so, then you might be interested in the Moving Beyond Management course.
This programme of three full-day sessions is aimed at managers with some experience, who are looking to develop their skills with a view to moving into a more senior role. The sessions will address current and future challenges within Higher Education and will include:
* Defining the difference between leadership and management
* Cultivating a strategic approach though exploring a leadership toolkit
* Developing skills, self-confidence and resilience to help us to thrive in challenging situations
* Exploring future career possibilities, including how to maintain our personal and professional development
* Exchanging ideas and experience in a supportive and confidential environment
The sessions will be facilitated by Jackie Kernaghan, a freelance Development Consultant focusing on Leadership and Management development, Mediation and research and analysis of HR issues. Jackie brings 10 years experience in the HE sector in staff development roles with a primary focus on supporting managers to enhance team performance and manage change. The programme will incorporate practical exercises and case studies to help participants to translate their learning into practical action. Each session will also include a guest speaker who will develop and explore the theme of the day as well as sharing their own experience.
The three sessions are:
Session 1: – 4th February 2015 – Understanding the big picture: The importance of strategic thinking
Session 2: – 25th February 2015 – Building resilience in an increasingly turbulent world
Session 3: – 18th March 2015 – Making it happen
• Welcome and introductions; Defining and refining the agenda
• Leadership or management? Defining the difference; Practical exercise and discussion
• Tough times ahead: Identifying our challenges and concerns
• Understanding the big picture: The importance of strategic thinking
• Taking a strategic approach: Leadership toolkit
• ‘Homework’ for day 2 and action planning.
Guest Speaker: Erin Caseley, Director of Quality Services Strategy & Deputy Director of Library Services, Kings College London
The Hardy Room at the London Mathematical Society, 57-58 Russell Square, London WC1B 4HS
Website – www.lms.ac.uk
Registration is from 9.30am with the course starting at 9.45am.
Entire series – £420 for members and £630 for other institutions.
Cancellations less than one week before the event will be charged a 50% cancellation fee. In the event of a ‘no-show’ on the day, the full fee will be charged.
To book a place please use our online booking form or email the administrator via email@example.com