Managing Student Behaviour [TG4/MSB]
Students are often under financial, professional and personal pressure, and this can be reflected in their behaviour towards staff. University staff find themselves worrying about coping with strong emotion, challenging behaviour and noncompliance.
Wednesday 18 November, 10.30am-12pm
Problems and Principles
- Intros: I hate it when…
- Chat: listening debrief
- Talk: categorisation and summary
- Chat: Discussion: reasons for behaviour
- Group work: Advocacy
- Debrief: Good general principles
- Talk: Starting well—the 3 S’s
We start with an exercise which makes clear why people can sometimes behave badly, and establishes values for a good conflict-free approach. Having established basic values, the course goes on to look at potential areas of conflict between the client and the librarian. First, we look at beginnings – what kind of environment the student encounters when entering the library in terms of layout, signage, and other signals. This leads into a discussion about effective voice and body language for creating a positive encounter
Thursday 19 November 10.30am-12pm
- Group work: delivering criticism
- Chat: cultural differences
- Group work: dealing with strong emotion
- Debrief: defusing situations
- Talk: shutting down encounter—gears
- Chat: finishing gracefully—dessert/coffee
Next, we look at how to successfully deliver difficult information, e.g. criticism for talking in the library. In a series of exercises we look at delivery of ‘clean communication’ to get willing compliance from the library-user. After a short session on cultural differences in communication, we go on to see how to defuse strong emotion and complaints. Only then do we go on to a method to use when positive resolution is impossible: the gears technique. The day finishes with a quick look at ‘closing’ techniques: how to end encounters which are going on too long.
Information for joining:
- This session is virtual and will run via Zoom. Once your booking has been confirmed, joining instructions will be emailed the day before the event.
- The trainer is Ash Charlton –https://www.acetrainingcourses.co.uk/
£63.00 for other institutions.
This course will be run over two mornings, each lasting 90 minutes. Fees cover the cost of attending both dates.
Cancellations less than one week before the event will be charged a 50% cancellation fee. In the event of a ‘no-show’ on the day, the full fee will be charged.
*THIS EVENT IS NOW FULL. NEW BOOKINGS WILL BE ADDED TO A WAITING LIST* To book a place on the waiting list, please use our online booking form.