Thursday 5 July 2007

Steering Group Meeting Minutes

Note: The following minutes have been approved.

Note: Minutes of the meeting held at Senate House Library

Present: Nick Bevan, J. Adam Edwards, Robert Hall, Caroline Lloyd, Julie Howell, William Masterson, Mary Nixon, Frances Norton, Anne Poulson, Maureen Wade.

In Attendance: Mike Clarke (for item 3), Genein Cox
1. Apologies for absence and welcome to new members
Apologies: Mary Davies, Rosemary Lynch.

NB welcomed Julie Howell and Mary Nixon to the Steering Group

2. Minutes of last meeting and matters arising

2.1 The minutes of the Steering Group meeting held on Thursday 10 May, 2007 were approved.

2.2
Matters arising:
2.2.1 AIM25 (Item 3) – Following up on the AIM25 bid to the UoL’s Vice Chancellor’s fund,  MW reported that she had not been contacted yet by the project director but informal reports indicated that the project may have received funding.
2.2.2 WAM25 (Item 4) – MW reported that there had been contact from HEFCE on the WAM25 bid, but no formal response as yet.
2.2.3 Disaster Planning (Item 10)
Action: MW to speak with JG about the feasibility of hosting the disaster planning bibliography on the M25 website.
2.2.4 Marketing & Communication WG (Item 13) – FN confirmed that she was happy to take on the post of Chair of this working group.
2.2.5 London Health Libraries (Item 13) – NB received approval from the members to have John Wolstenholme co-opted to the SG for another year, to chair the LHL group during the current period of transition.
2.2.6 MW suggested that in future scheduling of meeting dates for the new financial year be put on the agenda for the July SG meeting, to fit in with the schedules of newly elected members of the SG.

3. Regional collaboration   (Mike Clarke)
3.1 SG members received an update on the LLDA and related regional issues. MC noted that there would be opportunities for libraries to get involved in the cultural offering for the Olympics, as literature was going to feature strongly. MC enquired about Christine Wise’s role in the 2012 collaboration, as she was no longer a part of the SG. MW advised that since CW was involved on this project as a member of the Collaboration & Partnership working group, this collaboration would continue via the group.

NB advised the SG that Mary Davies resigned from the SG, so a new chair would have to be appointed; MC would be notified as soon as an appointment was made.

4. Appointment of new officers  (Nick Bevan)
4.1 The  following newly appointed officers were introduced to the Steering Group
i) M25 Chair – Nick Bevan
ii) Chair of CPD25 – Mary Nixon
iii) M25 Treasurer – Caroline Lloyd
It was noted that the Chair of CPD25 was now a member of the SG ex-officio and would be considered as one of the officers.

5. Election of new additional members of SG  (Maureen Wade)
5.1 In accordance with the decision of members at the June 2007 AGM, the number of elected SG members is to be increased by three; a one-off election will be held this year to achieve that.
The M25 constitution requires that the election of new members to the SG be ratified at members’ meetings. As a result, MW suggested the following schedule to meet the constitutional requirements in time for the 24 January 2008 members meeting:

  • 1 November 2007 – Deadline for call for nominations for SG elections
  • 18 December 2007 – Deadline for submission of paper copies of nominations
  • 24 January 2008 – Elections to be held if positions contested and new members confirmed

It was agreed that members elected in this election will stand for an 18 month term of office only, in order to keep all members in alignment with one election each year, to be held during the June AGM.

6. Revision of Strategic and Action Plans  (Nick Bevan)
(This item was taken in conjunction with agenda item 8: Key projects for 2007/08)
6.1 Members received a discussion paper reviewing the Consortium’s  Strategic Objectives and Action Plan.

NB noted that, in revising the plan, he had separated out regular annual tasks from a number of key projects to be taken forward in the coming year. He asked for SG members views on the revised plan and on this overall approach. Members agreed with the overall approach and it was suggested that key projects be highlighted more on the M25 website.

AP reported that she had begun thinking about the database of expertise.  NB proposed a Task and Finish group for c.2 years, to look at services to members, in particular Director-level support. This could include the database of expertise and a members’ only space within the Consortium website. AP agreed to chair the Task & Finish group and it was agreed the database should be called the database of experience and interests, rather than expertise.

It was agreed that the work on research collections in M25 libraries might also require a task group. NB agreed to speak to  Liz Chapman, who is leading this work. The need to avoid overlap with CURL work on research collections was noted.

NB proposed and it was agreed that working group action plans should be in the same format as the main plan and should be attached to it when reporting at Members’ meetings. It was agreed that, in future, the SG planning day should be in March, to allow time for the full planning process.

Actions:
– NB/MW to revise the Strategic Plan in the light of SG members ‘ comments and bring a further draft to the September meeting.
– WG chairs to bring draft Action plans for their groups to the December SG meeting.
– Completed Strategic and Action Plans to be presented to Members at the January Consortium meeting.
– AP to set up a Task and Finish group on the provision of services to members, to include development of a database of experience and interests and a members’ only section on the M25 website.
– NB to speak to Liz Chapman about a group to assist with the work on research collections.

7. Access & Borrowing Scheme              (Caroline Lloyd)
7.1 Members provided feedback on possible amendments to the “Rights and  Responsibilities” document in relation to the M25 Access & Borrowing Scheme (Section d).

SG members agreed that the document should be amended for clarity to include text which specifies the expectations when new members join the Consortium:

• HEFCE funded members are expected to recognise M25 Access & Borrowing Scheme cards and provide borrowing at the same level as that offered to other external members.

• Supply of Data: This primarily means joining the InforM25 services, specifically providing the required data to the M25 Systems Team normally within two months and to arrange remote access to library catalogues (currently via the Z39.50 protocol).

With regards to a third issue outlined by CL regarding participation in access schemes, it was agreed that CL would meet with the other officers to discuss this further.

Action: GC to make the amendments to the document on the website and CL to alert members via email about the changes made.

8. Key projects for 2007/08  (Nick Bevan)
(This agenda item was taken in conjunction with Item 6: Revision of Strategic and Action Plans)

9. Working Groups   (Maureen Wade)

9.1  Constitutional summary
MW presented a paper reminding SG members of the constitutional requirements for WGs according to the M25 Consortium’s Articles of Association and Rules for the conduct of business and recommended some changes in practice.

SG Members were asked to note the following:
– The names of new members of working groups should be brought to the next SG meeting for approval
– Nominations for membership of WGs will be sought by the Secretary at least twice a year and additionally as required.
– Criteria for membership is specified as:
o Expertise of the individual or individuals suggested
o Commitment to active participation in the affairs of the Consortium

a) After some discussion it was agreed that MW should draft some guidelines for Chairs of working groups, outlining good practice.

At present Chairs of working groups report at every SG meeting. The SG agreed that in future Chairs of working groups only provide written reports twice a year to the SG, detailing progress against the Action Plan.  This should be done at the SG meeting preceding the Consortium meetings. At other SG meetings a brief oral report on WGs would be sufficient.

Action: MW to produce a guidance document to Chairs of WG’s to advise on good practice.

9.2  New Chairs and members
SG members noted the following:
– NB has asked John Wolstenholme to continue on the SG as the Chair of the LHL /M25 Joint WG for another year.
– NB to seek a new Chair for the Collaboration and Partnership WG, following the resignation of MD
– FN to Chair the Marketing and Communications WG

10. Financial matters   (Nick Bevan)
NB reported that all members were up-to-date with their subscriptions to M25 for the end of the current financial year. NB also reported that the proposed financial consultancy with Kingston Smith will be taken forward.
Action: NB to send financial review for annual report

11. CPD25 report
SG members noted a report from CPD25. NB noted that Dave Puplett, CPD25 Administrator, had resigned; the SG expressed their thanks to Dave for his hard work and contribution to CPD25. Temporary assistance would be arranged over the summer while a new CPD25 administrator is sought.

12. Programme for January Consortium meeting
It was felt that the earlier idea of commissioning a video of library users to spark discussion should not be pursued, following Members’ views at the June Consortium meeting.

A number of other ideas for the January meeting programme were discussed. AP felt that the key success factor of the June 2007 meeting was its interactive approach. Other members had said they enjoyed hearing the presentations from the newly joined members, about their collections.

After some discussion it was agreed that there should be a research theme to the January programme. It could include presentations highlighting interesting research collections within the Consortium. It would be necessary to draft a specification and invite members to propose their collections. To supplement these presentations a key note address on “What researchers want” would be useful and it was proposed that the author of the RIN report on researchers’ use of libraries should be approached. The programme should also include some interactive sessions on provision for research.

Action: MW to bring draft programme to September meeting.

13. Reports from Working Groups
Collaboration & Partnership
A discussion about M25’s involvement with the LLDA took place.

Marketing & Communications
It was reported that the Annual Report was underway. A meeting of the group is due shortly.

Quality
AE reported that information had gone to potential consultants about the benchmarking project with responses due by 9/7/07.  He had some concerns as to whether the scope of the project was right, or whether it should be reviewed in the light of SCONUL’s VAMP project.
Action: AE to review scope of benchmarking project and bring revised proposal to September SG if necessary.

The Group had also been looking at the potential for a CPD25 event on library surveys.  A proposal would be sent to CPD25 once more detailed ideas were formulated.

Resource Discovery
It was agreed that further work should be done to promote InforM25 services and the RDWG was asked to take this forward, possibly by contacting JISC.  WM stated that the group was in the market for new members with the retirement of Brian Murphy and Catriona Cannon.

London Health Libraries & M25
Consortium Joint Working Group
GC, on behalf of John Wolstenholme, reported that the presentation to the group by the new Director for Libraries and Education in the NHS, Rob Smith would take place on 11 July. NB will also attend the meeting to talk about the M25.

14. Matters for next Steering Group meeting

The following matters are to be discussed at the next meeting of the SG:
• Strategic Plan 2007/08 – 2008/09
• The new Task and Finish group
• Programme for the January 2008 Consortium meeting
15. Any other business

Ideas for the E-bulletin were discussed which included:
• Announcement of new M25 officers
• New Chair of CPD25
• Retirement of Brian Murphy
• September networking event

16. Dates (and venues) of next meetings
16.i
Members were asked to agree to venues for forthcoming Steering Group meetings.

Please see link at http://www.m25lib.ac.uk/calendar.html for full details

Summary of Action Points

1) MW to speak with JG about the feasibility of hosting the disaster planning bibliography on the M25 website.
2) NB/MW to revise the Strategic Plan in the light of SG members ‘ comments and bring a further draft to the September meeting.
3) WG chairs to bring draft Action plans for their groups to the December SG meeting.
4) Completed Strategic and Action Plans to be presented to Members at the January Consortium meeting.  NB/MW.
5) AP to set up a Task and Finish group on the provision of services to members, to include development of a database of experience and interests and a members’ only section on the M25 website.
6) NB to speak to Liz Chapman about a group to assist with the work on research collections.
7) GC to make the amendments to the document on the website about membership obligations re. the M25 access scheme o and CL to alert members via email about the changes made.
8) MW to produce a guidance document for Chairs of WGs to advise on good practice in the conduct of working groups.
9) NB to send financial review for M25 Annual Report
10) NB to seek a new Chair for the Collaboration & Partnership WG.
11) MW to bring draft programme for January 2008 Consortium meeting to September SG meeting
12) AE to review scope of the Quality Group benchmarking project and bring a revised proposal to September SG if necessary.