Monday 21 June 2010

Note: The following minutes are unapproved and will be formally agreed at the next meeting of the Steering Group.

Minutes of the meeting held at LSHTM, 21st June 2010

Present: Angus Brown, Nick Bevan, Caroline Lloyd, John Tuck, Rosemary Lynch, Sandy Leitch, Julie Howell, Andrew Amato.

Apologies: Ann Murphy, Julie Brittain, Beth Adams, John Gilby, Mary Nixon, Pete Ryan, Vicky Falconer

2. Minutes of the last meeting

The minutes from the 18th March were circulated at the meeting, and comments requested by 25/6/10.

3. Welcome to new steering group members

The chair welcomed the new members elected at the AGM.
Beth Adams (St. George’s University of London) and Angus Brown (Imperial).

4. Key Projects

The meeting reviewed and updated the key projects identified in the strategic plan and approved at the AGM. Owners were identified for each of the key projects P1 to P12 as detailed below.
The following were asked to produce a short update report for the next SG meeting in September.
P1. Staff room launch – JT /AA
P5. Marketing and advocacy – PR
P8. Regional library consortia contacts – AM
P9. WAM 25 JT, JG

JT will contact PR re promotional activity and the Annual Report and AM re approach from NOWAL.

In addition Members agreed to progress work associated with the key projects below;
P2. Initial review of resources on m25 web site – AB
P3. Establish task and finish groups (steering group)
P4. Progress Inform25 review JT
P6. Promotion of consortium activities. – PR
P7.  Liaise with SCONUL re shared services – BA
P10. Review governance documents – SL
P11. Reserves policy – CL (CL will arrange a meeting with SL to discuss)
P12. Potential of charitable status – NB

5. Staff room and WAM25 Updates

JT and AM provided an update on the staff room initiative and the WAM25 project.
Significant progress has been made on the creation of the staff room and the review group is providing feedback. It is intended that the Staff Room will be launched at the annual networking event in November.
Discussion took place on the potential of WAM25 in the current climate. It was agreed that JT will convey the SG’s discussion re WAM25 to Liz Chapman (WAM25 Chair) and contact Philip Payne.

6. Forthcoming Meeting cycle

The annual cycle and phasing of meetings were agreed: 4 steering group meetings in Sept/Dec/March/June, a networking event in November, planning meeting in January and the AGM and conference in April/May.

Sept SG: Initiate planning for conference, September?
Nov: Networking Event (mtg with NOWAL, November
Dec SG:    Sign off accounts (2010 / 11 only), 16th December
January Planning: Co-ordinate Planning for M25 and CPD25 for Sep 11/12,    13th January
Mar SG:    Initiate Annual Report,    24th March
Apr/May: AGM and Conference, date TBC
June SG: Initiate planning for Networking event,16th June

Meetings – SL will create a Doodle Poll / Meet-o-matic / etc. to coordinate dates and availability for future SG meetings. SG – Members were asked to notify SL of any conflicts/problems with the proposed dates for future SG meetings.

VF will coordinate organisation for future SG meetings

Networking event: SL will post on the Directors’ Room asking for offers to ‘host’ the networking event.
SL will liaise with VF regarding planning for the networking event

7. Feedback from the AGM and Conference

7.1. The Support Team is to gather the feedback from the annual conference. AB will evaluate the feedback, and report to the September SG.
7.2. AA will chase up / look into invoicing from the annual conference (re: catering and room hire), as nothing has been received.
7.3. VF / ST to update CL on remaining expenses and finance position re the conference.

8. Treasures report

CL reported that there will be significantly less interest earned than was estimated due to the drop in interest rates. However the end of year position is still expected to be within the estimated overspend. Action CL to investigate high interest savings options
There are 5 outstanding subscriptions which are being chased.
cpd25 surplus still needs to be transferred. There was also a transfer from reserves to the cpd25 to provide funds while 2009/10 invoices were issued. This needs to be transferred back. Action CL to liaise with MN re transfers

9. CPD25 report

Prior to the meeting, MN reported that she has noticed falling numbers for some CPD events and suggested a wider scope for advertising. It was agreed that MN should prepare a report for the September meeting providing a review of the year, the scope of events, and available statistics.
JT to contact MN (action completed)

10. Annual report  

It was noted that we had agreed to provide an e-annual report with a short highlights in a printed flyer. JT agreed to contact PR to discuss this, and ask the marketing and communications group to set things in motion and review progress.

11. Meeting with NOWAL

The NOWAL consortium have contacted JT to consider a future meeting. It was suggested that it would be appropriate to set up a meeting immediately prior to the networking event. JT will contact AM to progress.

AOB
Activity of the director’s room was discussed.
AA will provide updated usage statistics to RL for analysis and review and a short report to be presented to the Sept SG.

Summary of Actions

Item 4
Owners identified for each of the “key projects” from the action plan are to present a report at the next SG meeting in September;
JT/AA P1. Staff room launch
PR P5. Marketing and advocacy
AM P8. Regional library consortia contacts
JT/JG P9. WAM 25

Owners were also identified for the following projects;

AB P2.  Initial review of resources on m25 web site
SG P3.  Establish task and finish groups
JT P4. Progress Inform25 review
PR P6. Promotion of consortium activities.
BA P7. Liaise with SCONUL re shared services
SL P10. Review governance documents
CL P11. Reserves policy
NB P12. Potential of charitable status

Item 5
• (JT) to pass on the SG’s discussion regarding WAM25 to LC (as acting WAM25 chair).

Item 6
• (SG) – Members were asked to notify SL of any conflicts/problems with the proposed dates for future SG meetings
• (SL) – SL will create a Doodle Poll (?) / Meet-o-matic / etc. to coordinate dates and availability for future SG meetings
• (SL) – SL will post on the Directors’ Room asking for offers to “host” the networking event
• (SL), (VF) – SL will liaise with VF regarding planning for the networking event
• (VF) – VF will coordinate organisation for future SG meetings

Item 7
• (ST), (AB) — The Support Team is to gather the feedback from the annual conference, so that AB can lead an evaluation of the feedback, and report back to SG.
• (AA) – AA is to chase up / look into invoicing from the annual conference (re: catering and room hire), as nothing has been received.

Item 8
• Action CL to investigate high interest savings options
• Action CL to liaise with MN re transfers

Item 9
• (MN), (JT) – It was decided that JT should seek further details from MN regarding the CPD25 elements mentioned in her email. (completed)
• MN to bring a CPD25 report covering these elements to the next SG meeting.

Item 10
• PR to discuss the production of the Annual Report with the marketing and communications group and monitor progress.
• JT to contact PR re Annual Report.

Item 11
• JT to contact AM re NOWAL Visit
• AM to progress

AOB
• (AA), (RL) – Regarding the Directors’ Room, AA is to provide usage statistics to RL, for analysis and review, to be presented at the next SG meeting.

SL / AA 27/6/10