Monday 18 March 2010

Note: The following minutes are unapproved and will be formally agreed at the next meeting of the Steering Group.

Minutes of the meeting held at Canterbury Christchurch.

Present: Vicky Falconer, Nick Bevan, John Gilby, Sandy Leitch, Julie Howell, Caroline Lloyd, Rosemary Lynch, Ann Murphy, Mary Nixon, Pete Ryan, John Tuck.

1. Apologies for absence

Julie Brittain

2. Minutes of the last meeting, and review of actions

The minutes from the January 2010 meeting were accepted as an accurate record of proceedings. The group updated on the summary of actions; all completed, with the exception of:
Under 5.1: this will be brought back to the next meeting.

3. Chair’s Report

NB reported that he had not so far received any expressions of interest from anyone wishing to take over as Chair. It was re-iterated that nominations should be received by the 1st April.

4. Strategic Plan

On Directors’ Room – no other suggestions
The SG signed off the Strategic Plan, in order to take to the AGM on 23rd April

5. Action Plan

The SG were happy to take document forward to AGM, though recommended a few minor changes – including to the introductory paragraph. It was also felt that the Action Plan would be better as an annexe to the Strategic Plan, and that it should be re-named ‘Key Projects’ Action: NB to update introductory sentence/paragraph, and make any further changes to document.
The SG agreed that a column for responsibility would be added for reference, after the document has been distributed at the forthcoming AGM. Action: Incoming Chair to add column of responsibility to Key Projects section of Strategic Plan.

6. Treasurer’s Report

6.1. Update on Current Finances
CL reported that the current finances looked healthy and the planned overspend is reducing. We are on track to achieving a balanced budget by next year.
Reserves: ‘Working float’ – is not normally included in the breakdown, but is for audit purposes on this occasion.
WAM25 : The SG agreed to limiting the contribution to £15,000.
6.2. Proposed subscription levels for 2010/11
Slight increase in income, due to one institution going up a band.
Levels themselves are not going up.
6.3. Budget 2010/11
SG agreed that cpd25 surplus from 2008/9 should be transferred to M25 current account. Noted that Travel Award costs are split over 2 years.
Action CL to liaise with MN re transfer (and then change to this in summary of actions).

7. Other papers for AGM

Group was reminded that all papers must be out by 31st March.
Action: CL and NB to complete paperwork for AGM, for distribution by VF no later than 31st March (NB, Strategic and Action Plan, Chair’s report; CL, Finance reports)

8. Update on Annual Conference planning

8.1 Q&A Session
Group agreed to each send in a question
8.2 Breakout session
SL updated the Group on the outcome of the morning’s conference planning meeting.
SG agreed that Directors’ Room flyer will not be added to the pack

9. Support Team Report

JG reported that the Support Team had been very busy – with cpd25 event peak, plus AGM happening.
Lunch25 presentation was very useful but showed there is confusion – feed into marketing.
WAM25 meeting is to take place in the following week to decide future strategy of the strategy. The SG was of the view that it was not feasible to discontinue the project at this stage and on this basis the SG agreed to contribute up to £15,000 for this project.

10. cpd25 report

MN gave numbers of events. All but one have made a surplus. Some events in planning are relevant to Directors so MN suggested advertising on the Directors’ Room – a new area can be added in. Action: MN to create thread on Directors’ Room.
Only three groups have Chairs, so MN will address this. Also could do with a couple of extra senior staff. MN would be interested in hearing suggestions.

11. Reports from Working Groups11.1 Update from Governance sub group

Sandy ran through ideas from this morning re governance. SG agreed that they were supportive of the ideas. Next stage to write up and find out where any gaps. Action: SL and VF, to draw up document detailing yearly meeting and activity cycle. The new cycle will commence in September 2010.

11.2 Marketing and Communications Working Group (MCWG)

PR reported on Marketing sub-group meeting. The Group approved the format of the report he’d done. It was noted that no dates were on – some activities for now, some for next year.  The SG agreed that the MCWG should remain as a working group structure.
Which of these activities can happen now – priorities? Roadshow, staff room, Inform25, Inform25 –
Action PR to take this back to MCWG to get feedback.
PR happy to remain as Chair for the time being.

11.3 Digital Developments Working Group (DDWG)

JT reported back to the SG. SG supported JT’s recommendation to continue with work packages 3-8 as outlined in his report. It was suggested that it’s been some time since we’ve produced an article for the professional press, and that this would be a good time. CL pointed out that there isn’t anything else in the budget for InforM25 promotion.

11.4 Director Services

RL reported rise in use recently, which is really positive – bulletin seems to be working well. Market programme of cpd25 via DR – events for senior/director staff. Next would like to find out about Directors’ staff development needs – RL to go back to group and find out how to go about this.

11.5 Strategic Partnerships Working Group (SPWG)

AM recommended that this move to a task and finish group model.

11.6 Quality Working Group (QWG)

JH reported that the QWG had been formally disbanded. Thanks to all members of the group, past and present, for their contributions. Action: VF to remove QWG pages from website and put into archive.

12. Membership

Lambeth have contacted Sandy to arrange the visit. Another potential member has been in touch.

12. Forthcoming Meetings

The group agreed to change the meeting date in July to an alternative date in June. Action: VF tocirculate potential dates to the Group for July meeting.

Summary of Actions

5: NB to update Key Projects prior to AGM
Incoming Chair (JT) to add column of responsibility to Key Projects section of Strategic Plan.
6.3 CL to liaise with MN re transfer (and then change to this in summary of actions).
7: CL and NB to complete paperwork for AGM, for distribution by VF no later than 31st March (NB, Strategic and Action Plan, Chair’s report; CL, Finance reports)
9: MN to create thread on Directors’ Room re cpd25 events suitable for Director-level staff.
10.1: SL and VF to draw up document detailing yearly meeting and activity cycle.
10.2: PR to take ideas back to MCWG for consideration.
10.6: VF to remove QWG pages from website and archive
12: VF to circulate potential dates to the Group for July meeting