Friday 23 September 2011

Minutes of the meeting held at London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine

Present: Bethan Adams (BA), Angus Brown (AB), Vicky Falconer (VF), John Gilby (JG), Kitty Inglis (KI), Sandy Leitch (SL), Caroline Lloyd (CL), Antony Loveland (AL), Ann Murphy (AM), Pete Ryan (PR), John Tuck (JT), Michelle Wake (MW).

1. Welcome and any apologies:

New members were welcomed to the Steering Group.
Apologies from Julie Brittain (JB)

2. Minutes of the last meeting, and review of actions:

The minutes were accepted as an accurate record. Review of all actions covered by items on agenda.

3. Matters arising:

3.1. Content Management System (CMS)
JG outlined the difficulties with the current CMS, in particular the security risk posed by outdated components on which the system relied. The SG agreed that the websites should be moved to a different CMS as soon as possible but agreed that, as the changes were not budgeted for in 2011-12, any overhaul of the websites’ design should wait until the following year. It was noted however that if the Search25 bid was unsuccessful then some funds, in the form of the contribution from M25 that had been allocated, would be freed up. SL will work with JG and the Support Team (S/T) to decide which of website content could be archived or removed, before transferring remaining content to new CMS. Action 3.1.1: SL and JG/ST arrange date to look at website. AL mentioned that a temporary web developer had been recently employed at Central School of Speech & Drama (CSSD). Action 3.1.2: AL find out about recruitment and approximate cost of web developer.

3.2. Formal Trustee matters
All actions relating to Formal Trustee matters have been completed. CL advised that all papers relating to the Trustees’ Report had been sent to Companies House and the Charities Commission.

3.3. Task & Finish Group (T&FG) remits
VF confirmed that most of the T&FG remits were on the website; any outstanding remits would be added ASAP.

3.4. Networking event
VF updated the SG on progress for the Networking Event – taking place at Senate House, in the Goldsmiths’ Library on the 10th November. The event will coincide with the Senate House exhibition celebrating the 175th Anniversary of the University of London; tours to look at the library, after five years of refurbishment, will also be available. It was hoped that both of these factors would attract a lot of interest in the event.  Action 3.4.1: VF send initial email to Directors ASAP, with formal invitation following soon thereafter

4. InforM25 and Search25:

JT reported that since the last meeting a proto Task & Finish Group had been set up to take forward ‘low hanging fruit’ options from the InforM25 Review. However, on the 9th of September the Consortium also submitted its bid to JISC to develop the ‘Search25’ service; notification on the outcome of the bid is expected by end of September: [POST-MEETING NOTE: the bid has been approved by JISC. A copy had been circulated prior to the meeting, and the SG commented very positively on it. It was agreed that writing the bid had been a useful process to define the ways in which the InforM25 service could realistically be taken forward; if the bid is not successful then the SG may want to consider alternative ways of implementing this exciting service development.

5. Chair’s update: Activities Report:

JT provided updates on the projects listed in the Activities Report. The Report will provide the basis for a feature on Collaboration in the 2010-11 Annual Report.

5.1 WATER (Walk in Access to E-Resources):
JT reported that SCONUL would like an M25 representative to chair this project. Action 5.1.1: Action 5.1.2: JT get in touch with SCONUL and confirm willingness to take forward; also JT to identify a chair from M25 Consortium.

5.2 Shared Services and Electronic Resource Management:
No updates in addition to those listed in Activities Report.

5.3 SALT (Surfacing the Academic Long Tail):
No updates in addition to those listed in Activities Report. Action 5.3.1: JT edit Activities Report to reflect that SALT project has now been completed.

5.4 NoWAL (North West Academic Libraries) and WHELF (Wales Higher Education Libraries Forum):
No updates in addition to those listed in Activities Report.

5.5 E-Books:
The SG agreed that it was important to share the report from the E-Books survey with SCONUL.

5.6 Information Handling:
JB not present at SG meeting so was unable to report any further updates. Action 5.6.1: JT get in touch with JB re Information Handling.

6.  Treasurer’s update: 2011-12 budget:

CL outlined the draft 2011-12 budget that had been submitted in advance of the meeting. Action 6.1: VF note the allocation of £5,000 towards the Conference and Networking Event, combined. The SG approved the draft credit card usage document which had also been submitted in advance of the meeting – but it was agreed that a section should be added for the card holder and any other authorized signatory to sign and agree to the conditions set out in document. Action 6.2: CL update credit card document and bring back to next SG meeting. CL briefed new SG members on reserves policy. It was asked whether a fund was being set aside specifically for development projects; the SG agreed to discuss this possibility at Planning Day. Action 6.1: VF add development fund to Planning Day agenda.

7. Steering Group champions:

7.1 Directors Development.
KI agreed to champion this area of work, which had previously been led by Rosemary Lynch (RL). Action 7.1: KI to get in touch with RL.

7.2 Access Scheme.
AB, champion of the scheme, reported on some preparatory work completed. It was noted that the institution listings on the M25 Access Scheme web pages are out of date. Action 7.2: VF update M25 Access Scheme web pages.

7.3 InforM25:

As stated in 4 above, JT reported that a group of staff had been identified to take forward the work from the review, but someone to lead the group is still required. It was suggested that someone might be co-opted to SG for this purpose. Action 7.3.1: JT monitor progress on finding SG lead for InforM25 work.

7.4 cpd25:
AL reported that all Task Group programmes were taking shape. Publicity for some events had already been distributed, and cpd25 would soon be using Twitter for further advertising. AL and JT are meeting with CILIP regarding the possibility of a feature on cpd25 in Update magazine.

8.  Consortium membership:

SL gave updates regarding the interest that had been expressed by Into UEA. It was agreed that whilst M25 would not be able to take forward request by Into, the Consortium would be very interested for UEA to join, and SL will follow this up. Action 8.1: SL get in touch with contact at UEA. Other potential members that had been suggested were the Bishopsgate Institute and the  Zoological Society. VF and JG distributed a list that they had drawn up of a number of other institutions. Action 8.2: VF circulate list by email to SG, adding wording from constitution, regarding membership, to email. Action 8.3 VF add item on new members to agenda for next meeting. Action 8.4: VF invite all MLAG (Museums Libraries and Archives Group) members to Networking Event. It was discussed whether the 2010-11 Annual Report could be distributed by email to potential new members. It was also agreed that membership strategy in general could be discussed at Planning Day in January. Action 8.5: VF add membership strategy to Planning Day agenda. It was noted that the new representative from the British Library (BL) had been confirmed. Action 8.6: VF add new BL rep to mailing lists etc. The SG felt that it would be excellent to have BL representation on the SG; JT confirmed that he is meeting with the BL representative, Louise Doolan,  in October, and will ask if she is interested in being co-opted to the Group.

9. Annual Report:

PR updated on progress made, highlighting the revised schedule provided by LSE Design Unit (DU). The final PDF is anticipated to be ready by the end of October, and good progress has been made so far. An initial meeting took place between VF and DU; a structure and page breakdown has been forwarded to DU; and several text submissions have already been received and forwarded to the DU. Action 9.1: VF send out reminders to those people still to submit texts. PR advised that the M25 photo competition had been less successful than planned, though there would almost certainly be enough images for the Annual Report. Those that had been received have been forwarded to DU. A first proof will be received from the DU on 10th October first proof: PR and VF will identify first edits; once a second proof has been received, VF will forward to JT, JG and KI to assist with closer editing work.

10. Annual Conference:

MW will take the SG lead on Conference planning, working with VF from S/T. It was agreed that SL and KI will work on initial stages of planning, to provide input and ideas on theme, structure, speakers etc. It was suggested that ‘scenario planning’ – the theme that had been identified from the Directors’ Development Needs survey – might be better suited as a session rather than a full theme, in order for the Conference be relevant to, and attract, a wider group of staff. Action 10.1: MW/VF set up a first Conference ‘brainstorming’ meeting to be held in the next few weeks.

11. Data protection:

SL updated the SG on the work that she had done, with assistance from the S/T on developing a data processing statement. This requires a final check against the list of general locations where consortium data was held in the ST office. Action 11.1: SL circulate draft data processing statement to SG. 11.2 ST to forward the list of general locations data are held in the ST office.

12. Checking of contacts list:

Queries/amendments as follows: Representative from Brighton was queried; representative from BL was confirmed; representative from British Museum was confirmed; representative from University of East London needs updating; BA advised on replacement representative for St George’s; University of Hertfordshire needs to be removed; Natural History Museum needs to be removed. Action 12.1: VF make required amendments to contacts list.

13. Dates of next meetings:

The dates of next meetings were noted. MW offered School of Pharmacy (SoP) as potential venue for January Planning Day. Action 13.1: MW check meeting room availability at SoP. Action 13.2: VF confirm the provisional date for Annual Conference.

14. Any other business:

BA was thanked formally for her contribution to the Steering Group pending maternity leave. JT also reported that Julie Brittain had accepted a new post and would need to relinquish M25 Steering Group membership. Julie was thanked for her many contributions to the work of the Consortium.

Summary of Actions

Action 3.1.1: SL and JG/ST arrange date to look at website.

Action 3.1.2: AL find out about recruitment and approximate cost of web developer.

Action 3.4.1: VF send initial email to Directors ASAP, with formal invitation following soon thereafter.

Action 5.1.1: JT identify chair for WATER..

Action 5.1.2: JT get in touch with SCONUL and confirm willingness to take forward.

Action 5.3.1: JT edit Activities Report to reflect that SALT project has now been completed.

Action 5.6.1: JT get in touch with JB re Information Handling.

Action 6.1: VF note the allocation of £5,000 towards the Conference and Networking Event, combined.

Action 6.2: CL update credit card document and bring back to next SG meeting.

Action 6.1: VF add development fund to Planning Day agenda.

Action 7.1: KI to get in touch with RL.

Action 7.2: VF update M25 Access Scheme web pages.

Action 7.3.1: JT monitor progress on finding SG lead for InforM25 work.

Action 8.1: SL get in touch with contact at UEA.

Action 8.2: VF circulate list by email to SG, adding wording from constitution, regarding membership, to email.

Action 8.3: VF add item on new members to agenda for next meeting.

Action 8.4: VF invite all MLAG members to Networking Event.

Action 8.5: VF add membership strategy to Planning Day agenda.

Action 8.6: VF add new BL rep to mailing lists etc.

Action 9.1: VF send out reminders to those people still to submit texts.

Action 10.1: MW/VF set up a first Conference ‘brainstorming’ meeting to be held in the next few weeks.

Action 11.1: SL circulate draft data processing statement to SG.

Action 11.2: Support Team to forward SL the list of general locations Data is held in the ST office.

Action 12.1: VF make required amendments to contacts list.

Action 13.1: MW check meeting room availability at SoP.

Action 13.2: VF confirm the provisional date for Annual Conference.