Minutes 15 April 2011 AGM

 

M25 Consortium of Academic Libraries Annual General Meeting
Friday, 15th April 2011
Graduate Centre, London Metropolitan University

Present:

Emma Bull (Queen Mary, University of London), Graham Bulpitt (Kingston University), Julie Brittain (Institute of Development Studies), Angus Brown (Imperial College London), Hugh Cahill (Lambeth Palace Library), Elizabeth Chapman (London School of Economics and Political Science), Ursula Crow (Buckinghamshire New University), Ann Cummings (Brunel University), Ann Davies (Open University, London), Angela Goldfinch (Roehampton University), Robert Hall (London Southbank University), Libby Homer (School of Oriental and African Studies), Julie Howell (London Metropolitan University), Kitty Inglis (University of Sussex), Nicky Kershaw (Anglia Ruskin University), Maire Lanigan (City University), Liz Lewis (British Library), Caroline Lloyd (London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine), Antony Loveland (Central School of Speech and Drama), Rosemary Lynch (University for the Creative Arts), Andrew MacDonald (University of East London), Helen Mason (Horniman Museum and Gardens), Julia Munro (University of Reading), Cath Morgan (University of Brighton), Ann Murphy (University of Greenwich), Mary Nixon (Goldsmith’s), Philip Payne (Birkbeck), Pete Ryan (Canterbury Christ Church University), Carole Satchwell (University of Westminster), Jane Savidge (University of Surrey), Martin Scarrott (St Mary’s University College), John Tuck (Royal Holloway University of London), Michelle Wake (School of Pharmacy), Marcus Woolley (University of Bedfordshire), Helen Workman (Oxford Brookes), April Yasamee (Ravensbourne College of Design and Communication)

In Attendance:

Andrew Amato, Vicky Falconer, John Gilby, Claire Hackshall (M25 Support Team)


1. Apologies for absence

For brevity, apologies were not announced; John Tuck (JT) advised that attendances and apologies would be noted in the minutes, as below.  JT also welcomed all new representatives to the AGM.

Bethan Adams (St George’s University of London), David Allen (Royal Society of Chemistry), Paul Ayris (University College London), Nick Bevan (Middlesex University), Simon Chaplin (Wellcome Library), Pat Christie (University of the Arts London), Sue Clegg (Roehampton University), Doug Dodds (Victoria & Albert Museum), Peter Hassell (Royal College of Art), Graham Higley (Natural History Museum), Charles Hoare (British Museum), Antony Hopkins (Courtauld Institute), Gary Horrocks (King’s College London), Simon Jackson (Royal Veterinary College), Di Martin (University of Hertfordshire), Christopher Mills (Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew), Christopher Pressler (University of London Research Library Services), Stephen Pickles (Institute of Education), Elizabeth Powis (University of West London), Fergus Read (Imperial War Museum), Chris Pedley (Heythrop College), John Sotillo (University of Kent), Tim Stone (University of Bedfordshire), Tim Wales (London Business School), Rupert Williams (Science Museum).
2. Minutes of last meeting

The minutes of the last meeting, held at Cass Business School, City University on the 23rd April 2010, were approved by the membership.
3. Chair’s Report

JT reported that it had been a busy and eventful year, with the transformation of higher education funding a high priority to address. The Consortium was extremely grateful to LSE, who have been generously hosting the Consortium for several years; JT advised that from August 2011  it would be necessary for LSE to levy an annual charge; this has been accommodated in budget planning.

JT reported that the Consortium has been active in many areas this year:

It was a pleasure to welcome Lambeth Palace Library this year as the 60th member library. The Consortium held its annual Networking Evening in November at the Women’s Library, London Metropolitan University. The Steering Group had converted its Working Groups into Task and Finish Groups, open to a wider group of staff, to provide a more agile response to current issues. cpd25 has had another very successful year. The Consortium has been involved in some important shared services initiatives [see also item 6.2.3]. A full Chair’s Report can be found in the AGM paperwork that was submitted in advance to the membership.


4. Steering Group (SG) membership

4.1 Re-election of Secretary

JT advised that Sandy Leitch (SL) had been re-elected as Secretary; this was approved by the membership.

4.2 Election of Steering Group members

JT advised that Michelle Wake (MW) of the School of Pharmacy had been co-opted to the SG; this was approved by the membership. JT extended warm thanks to those members whose term on the SG was ending: Nick Bevan, Julie Howell and Rosemary Lynch. JT encouraged anyone who was interested in joining the SG to get in touch with Consortium Officers.

4.3 Appointment of cpd25 Chair

JT announced that Antony Loveland, Central School of Speech and Drama, had been appointed as the incoming Chair of cpd25; this appointment was approved by the membership. Sincere thanks were extended to Mary Nixon as outgoing cpd25 Chair.


5. Amendments to governance documents

Paperwork relating to the governance documents changes had been circulated to membership in advance of the meeting. The membership approved the changes.
6. Development Planning

6.1 Strategic Plan 2010/11 – 2012/13: progress report

JT reported that good progress had been made on the ‘key projects 2010/11’, as set out in the Strategic Plan 2010/11-2012/13. A progress report containing full details had been submitted to the membership with the AGM paperwork. JT summarised some developments of note: As outlined in item 3, Working Groups (WGs) have been converted to Task & Finish Groups (T&FGs)  with focused goals and activities. The Staff Room service had been launched at the Networking Evening in November, and a new T&FG has been set up to take the service forward. An exchange of experience meeting with North West Academic Libraries (NOWAL) took place in November, which was very helpful and productive; the SG look forward to working with NOWAL again in the future. The Consortium finally had news that it was not possible to get any further HEFCE funding for the WAM25 project; however since then members have been in discussions with SCONUL and it is hoped previously allocated funds might be used for a collaborative Walk In Access project.

6.2 Key Projects

6.2.1 Directors’ staff development needs survey

Rosemary Lynch (RL) reported that a survey on the staff development needs of Director-level staff had been undertaken – to find out what gaps staff felt there were in their own development, and how might M25 address these. The survey had attracted a very positive 60% response rate, and it was found that priorities for development, despite the diversity of institutions, still had much in common. The Director Services Task and Finish Group (DS T&FG) has collated the feedback and will produce a full report. Following this, the DS T&FG will work with cpd25 to take training and development ideas forward.

6.2.2 InforM25 Review

JT conveyed apologies from Beth Adams (BA), Chair of the InforM25 Review Task & Finish Group (I25 T&FG). The review has been looking at the full suite of services: Search Catalogues, Find a Library, Union List of Serials – exploring their functionality, technical architecture and scope, with the aim of maintaining relevance in a rapidly changing environment. A final report of the review was nearing completion and will be taken to the next SG meeting; recommendations from the review will then be taken forward. JT extended sincere thanks to those who had been involved with the review process: BA, John Gilby (JG) and Andrew Amato (AA), and also those member libraries who had hosted visits.

6.2.3 Consortial Activities

JT reported that the Consortium has been involved with some very interesting projects relating to shared service activity. For instance, M25 is one of a number of supporting participants on the JISC-funded SALT project (Surfacing the Academic Long Tail), has four member institutions involved with the JISC/SCONUL ‘Above Campus’ Electronic Resources Management Project and is also looking towards involvement in the Research Information Network’s (RIN) work on information handling on a regional basis and the possibilities of consortial e-book purchasing.
7. Treasurer’s Report

7.1 Independent examination of financial statements

Caroline Lloyd reported that the Consortium’s financial accounts of the year 2009-10 had been approved by auditors Kingston Smith, and from there had been submitted to Companies House. There were no queries from the membership.

7.2 Proposed budget and subscription levels for 2011/12

CL pointed to the proposed budget that had been submitted with pre-meeting paperwork – including the proposed raise of subscription levels by 1%. The membership approved the proposed budget and subscription levels.

7.3 Reserves policy

CL advised that the reserves policy that was submitted with the AGM paperwork forms part of the Annual Trustee’s report. The membership approved the policy.

7.4 Reappointment of auditors

The membership approved the re-appointment of auditors Kingston Smith.
8. Members’ issues

No members’ issues.