Tuesday 11 December 2012

M25 Steering Group Meeting Minutes Tuesday 11th December 2012
The British Library
96 Euston Road, London
NW1 2DB, UK

 

Present: Bethan Adams (BA), Louise Doolan (LD), John Gilby (JG), Kitty Inglis (KI), Sandy Leitch (SL), Caroline Lloyd (CL), Nikki Randall (NR), Martin Scarrott (MS), John Tuck (JT), Michelle Wake (MW), Rupert Williams (RW).

 

1. Welcome and any apologies:

Apologies from Erin Caseley (EC), Ann Cummings (AC), Antony Loveland (AL), Cathy Walsh (CW).

 

2. Minutes of the last SG meeting

2.1 Approval of minutes:

The minutes from the SG meeting held on 21 September 2012 were agreed as a true record.

2.2 Review Actions:

There were no outstanding actions from the 21 September 2012 Steering Group meeting.

2.3 Matters Arising

There were no matters arising.

 

3. M25 Support Team Relocation – Progress Report/Plan

Since the September Steering Group meeting, significant progress has been made on the relocation project with three potential venues being identified: Senate House; CILIP; 113 Euston Street.

The Steering Group reviewed the potential venues and agreed that Senate House was the best and most suitable venue for the relocation of M25 Support Team. Senate House demonstrated significant enthusiasm for hosting the M25 Support Team and a clear willingness to make it work. There are a number of existing similar arrangements, notably The London Deanery which provide models we can work with in terms of space, HR/payroll and IT (Post-meeting work is progressing with regard to calculating requirements and costs, e.g. TUPE (staff transfer arrangements) etc.).

The M25 Steering Group is fully supportive of the move to Senate House. A fully costed and concrete proposal needs to be finalised in order for the M25 Steering Group to give final consideration and approval. The details of the proposal and agreement will also need to be presented at the 2013 AGM.

JT to get back to back to the other potential venues in the new year (Cilip and 113 Euston Street) to advise we are investigating other options.

3.1 JT and Relocation Project Team to finalise the costings and agreement with Senate House for final consideration by the M25 Steering Group. 

3.2 The final relocation agreement (including costings) to be presented at the 2013 AGM.

3.3 JT to get back to back to the other potential venues in the new year (Cilip and 113 Euston Street) to advise we are investigating other options.

 

4. Content Management System (CMS)

John Gilby noted that he had received quotes for the upgrade of the M25 content management systems and they ranged between 19K and 60K. JG noted that work on the CMS has been put on hold but said that the upgrade is a priority and should be completed as soon as possible. JG noted that we need to upgrade the M25 websites for technical and security purposes (i.e. Joomla! 1.0.15 was given an end of life date in 2009 and is therefore no longer supported in a technical capacity. All three websites (Directors’ Room is an add-on to the M25 website) using Joomla! (see table below) have security vulnerabilities as they are no longer technically supported).

SL suggested that an alternative approach could be to employ a person to work on this project specifically (like Andrew Amato). We need to scope the costs to employ a project officer to work on the CMS upgrade.

MS said that we need to look at this issue in a holistic way and consider all the websites and services as a whole rather than just one website needing an upgrade. What do we need to do as a Consortium to keep these services up and running? Do we need to redevelop the website or just transfer content?

JG to put together a one page document on the CMS to list the services we need to maintain and the key functions of each website.

 

Website: CMS:   Key Functions of the website:
M25 website(http://www.m25lib.ac.uk/) Joomla! 1.0.15 The content of the M25 website needs to be transferred to a new CMS. We don’t want to redevelop the website.
Cpd25 website(http://www.cpd25.ac.uk) Joomla! 1.0.15 The content of the cpd25 website needs to be transferred to a new CMS. We don’t want to revelop the website but maintain the existing features and functionality including   the booking form and possibly the calendar.
Directors’ Roomhttp://www.m25lib.ac.uk/directorsroom/) Joomla! 1.0.15 The content and functionality of the Directors’ Room (Director profiles, chat forums, interest groups, weekly updates on discussions) needs to be maintained.
InforM25(http://www.inform25.ac.uk/) Joomla! 1.0.15 This website will be phased out in 2013.
Staff Room(http://www.m25lib.ac.uk/staffroom/) WordPress/BuddyPress This does not need upgrading but we do need someone to manage the Staff Room on an ongoing basis.
Search25http://www.search25.ac.uk/pazpar2 WordPress Search25 needs to be managing and maintained on an ongoing basis.

 

Action Items:

4.1 J.G/JT to put together a one page document on the CMS to list the services we need to maintain and the key functions of each website.

4.2 J.G/AL to scope out the costs to employ a project officer to work on the CMS upgrade.

 

5. Events        

5.1 November Strategic Planning Afternoon

A well-attended Strategy Planning afternoon took place at the premises of the London Mathematical Society on Wednesday 14th November. This was an important event for the Consortium as it seeks to shape a new strategy to cover the years 2013/14 – 2015/16. The timetable is to deliver the new strategy for acceptance by the Consortium’s membership at the next Annual General Meeting which will take place in April 2013. The Steering Group will devote its annual Planning meeting (January 18th 2013) to the development of the new strategy and it is expected that a first draft will emerge soon after that meeting.

At the November Strategy Planning afternoon (attended by 30 Directors and colleagues), the following context was provided in order to facilitate discussion and deliberation.

  • 2013 will be the 20th anniversary of the M25 Consortium of Academic Libraries and this will provide a great opportunity for the launch of the new strategy and raising of the Consortium’s profile.
  • The strategy needs to be ambitious, exciting and relevant and also realistic. The Consortium depends very much on subscriptions for its income and currently has 58 members.
  • During the current year 2012/13, income of  c.£165,000 can be expected, mainly through subscriptions but also including a likely £15,000 – £16,000 raised through other activities such as cpd25, conference etc. Outgoings can be estimated at c. £150,000 covering: salaries, administrative costs, conference/events costs, annual report, space etc. This leaves approximately £15,000 available for one-off activities or developments.
  • An immediate priority of a practical nature is the need to relocate the M25 Support Team from its LSE Library base to another central London location. This has to be completed by July 31st 2013.
  • The Consortium runs – and needs to maintain and develop – a number of existing and new services, for instance, cpd25, Search25, the Directors’ Room, the Staff Room, the Conference and the networking event.
  • A new Content Management System is required during 2013/14.

5.2 M25 Steering Group Planning Afternoon

The aim of the planning afternoon, scheduled for Friday 18th January 2013, is to define a three year strategy. An urgent action item is to draft the agenda and send out papers by Friday 11th January 2013. The M25 SG need to determine the budget implications as well as the M25 priorities over the next 3 years so all SG Champions need to send their ideas to CL for inclusion in a budget paper for the Planning Afternoon.

5.3 Networking Event

The 2012 Networking event held at The Wiener Library on Wednesday 14th November 2012 was a great success with over 90 people in attendance. It was noted that all the staff volunteering on the different M25 Task and Finish groups (including M25 T&FG’s as well as the cpd25 task groups and the Customer Services Groups) were very pleased to be invited to this M25 event and this invitation should continue to be extended to them in the future. This could be the reason for hosting this event in the future as a way to say thank you to all the staff who volunteer their time to assist with the projects of the Consortium.

5.4 20th Anniversary Event  

We don’t have a venue secured yet as we have a bit of a mismatch of ambition and budget. We need to slightly lower expectations in view of budgetary measures. If anyone has any ideas for a free venue, please let the M25 administrator know. RW suggested tapping into the Science Museum ‘Lates’ evenings. This might reduce costs – NR to investigate.

The organising team would like to harness the creativity of members to create a timeline of information and history about the Consortium. By the January Planning afternoon, a venue, date and time for the Anniversary Party need to be secure.

5.5 2013 Conference

Venue: The potential venue, Central St Martins School of Design, is proving difficult to secure. It has the wow factor with excellent facilities but the quote is excessively high (£6000 for venue hire only). As a back-up option, we have contacted the Wellcome Conference Centre. They have yet to get back to us with a quote. In order to cover our costs, we are going to need to rely on sponsorship again this year.

Free places to members: MW asked if we should get rid of the free places, but the M25 SG said that we need to keep the free places as this is something offered to the Members as part of their subscription fee and it also encourages Directors and M25 Representatives to attend, which always gives the conference a base number of attendees.

Dates for the conference: the first week in April is too early so we need to aim for later in April. We can only confirm a date once we have a clear venue.

Theme: The theme for the conference needs to be finalised by the January SG.

 

EVENTS – ACTION ITEMS:

5.1 NR to finalise the discussion points from the November Strategic Planning Afternoon in time for the January M25 Steering Group Planning Afternoon.

5.2 NR to finalise the agenda and papers for the January planning Afternoon with assistance from JT and SL.

5.3. M25 SG members to information CL of their ideas/requests for expenditure over the next 3 years.  

5.4. NR to investigate The Science Museum as a potential venue.

5.5. NR, KI & AC to endeavour to finalise a venue, date and time for the 20th Anniversary Party. 

5.6. Include the 2013 Conference as an agenda item for the January Steering Group planning day. The theme should be finalised by this date as well as a date/venue.

 

6. Consortium Services

6.1 Search25

The M25 Steering Group acknowledged and noted the completion of the Search25 project.

 

6.2 Search25 Service Development Group

MS is looking for more staff to assist with the Search25 Development Group and has sent out a call for volunteers.

The short term plan (6 to 9 months) for the Search 25 Development Group is to identify the developer work required and figure out what support team work is required.

The Search25 DG has identified the need to employ the developer, Graham Seaman, for ½ day per month until May 2013 noting this could be extended until July 2013. [Note: this is in place funded by Royal Holloway]. MS noted that we need another 1 day per week for developer support on the Search25 service and this would cost around £250 per day. This ongoing agreement could be negotiated differently by putting it into a Service Level Agreement, but for now, these would be the arrangements.

MS outlined that £2100 was needed in order to maintain the Search25 service until Summer 2013 (i.e. up to 31st July 2013). The M25 Treasurer, Caroline Lloyd, with the support of the M25 Steering Group, agreed to allocate £2100 to be spent on developer work which would be carried out by Graham Seaman up until 31st July 2013. CL and MS would organise for Graham Seaman to invoice the Consortium for the work that he completed on Search25.

MS then went onto explain that £5000 was needed per year for developer recurrent expenditure in order to maintain the Search25 service.  Search25 is a new flagship service which must be maintained.

The M25 Treasurer’s advice was to move £5000 of this year’s funding into the 2013/2014 budget and then commit to including a recurrent expense of £5000 for maintenance of Search25 (i.e. Search25 developer time) in future years, subject to annual review of priorities. This was agreed by the M25 Steering Group.

There is also a need to complete Search25 non-programming work (I.e. the support team work) because the Library Information needs updating.

JT and JG to meet to discuss the work involved in updating this information and how much time is realistically needed and what are the skills involved in doing this.

JG to put a note on the Inform25 website directing people to the new Search25 service.

MS also noted that we need to give advice to the Search25 champions on the Search25 service and be clear on how we describe the service and how we use it. It would be helpful to collate an information package to go out to all the Search25 champions and also to coordinate an event where this information could be distributed and questions could an answered about the service.

 

6.3 Open Licensing and Future Developments

JT explained that the expectation from JISC is for us to take this forward and asked the M25 SG if they could consider this at the January planning day. JT also asked if that this should be brought to the attention of the Bloomsbury Library Group.

CL volunteered to distribute these documents (Post Project Development Blog and SERO Search25 Licensing Blog) to the Bloomsbury Group and JT asked everyone to send these out to their institutions.

Open Licensing and Future Developments to be included on the January agenda.

 

6.4 Customer Services Group

In EC’s absence AB reported that he is working on an event to be held on 12th February 2013 at the Royal Veterinary College for approximately 30 people. There will be a report for development after the event.

JT expressed that we need to clearly outline our strategy and what we are going to achieve over the next 3 years and indeed over the next 12 months and we need to demonstrate these outcomes to our members. It would therefore be good if EC could produce a document with clear outcomes and objectives for the Customer Services Group (and each sub-group) in 2013/2014. The M25 Steering Group acknowledged the positive work of the Customer Services Group and would like to have a clear picture of the next 12 months and the work that is going to be undertaken by the Customer Services Group.

 

CONSORTIUM SERVICES – ACTION ITEMS:

6.1 CL to allocate £2100 to Search25 development in 2012/2013 (to be spent by 31 July 2013) and move £5000 from 12/13 into the 13/14 budget for Search25 recurrent development expenditure.

6.2 JT and JG to meet to discuss the work involved in updating this information and how much time is realistically needed and what are the skills involved in doing this.

6.3 JG to put a note on the Inform25 website directing people to the new Search25 service.

6.4 MS to work with the Search25 Development Group to collate an information package to go out to all the Search25 champions and also to coordinate an event where this information could be distributed and questions could an answered about the Search25 service.

6.5 CL to distribute these documents (Post Project Development Blog and SERO Search25 Licensing Blog) to the Bloomsbury Group and JT asked everyone could send these out to their institutions.

6.6 NR to put Open Licensing and Future Developments to be included on the January agenda.

6.7 AB to ask EC to prepare document with clear outcomes and objectives for the Customer Services Group (and each sub-group) in 2013/2014.

 

7. Project Groups

7.1 E-BASS25

Work undertaken so far:

  • Project planning and documentation complete, including partner contracts
  • Project blog created http://ebass25.rhul.ac.uk
  • Project Team & Board Meetings (I & II) have been held
  • There have been various meetings between Project Experts
  • WP2 E-Book Landscape & Context Review complete
  • Four possible consortial PDA models have been defined
  • The first of two focus groups/workshops has been planned and delivered.

Forthcoming Work:

  • Landscape report is due for publication shortly
  • Various future blog posts on E-BASS25 work as it progresses http://ebass25.rhul.ac.uk
  • Reports and documentation on business requirements specification and business models specification (due mid January)
  • Guidelines on procurement options (due early January)
  • Report and recommendations on systems integration (due early January)
  • Toolkit for libraries to be able to assess and make sense of the various options available
  • End-of-project workshop to present E-BASS25 findings (due late January/early February).

 

7.2 WATER Project

The WATER Project Regional Events feedback is being consolidated by Philip Payne and Matthew Brooke. The guidelines will be made available in January 2013. JISC have asked for a project report in view of the funding they provided in support of the project.

 

7.3 Staff Room

The development of staffroom advertising postcards is currently underway and when they are printed they will be sent to each member institution and will also be included in cpd25 packs.

LD asked if the Staff Room can be changed so you can create your own account – perhaps with a drop down menu to select the institution you’re from? JG explained that this would mean that means anyone from anywhere in the world could join up and there is no way of vetting new people to the service to ensure they were actually from a member institution.

LD to talk to AL regarding the use of Staff Room to create cpd25 discussion forums for each cpd25 event.

NR/Elaine Salter to distribute postcards.

 

7.4 M25/RIB Information Literacy 

It was noted that Jane Falconer had drafted a questionnaire which will be a very useful step towards building a bank of expertise that can then be used for CPD25 events. It also ties in with the key priority identified of developing research support skills.

It was also reported that a number of people, including staff at UEL, have been testing the provisional criteria for strand 2  of the RIDLs initiative, which have been made public (at http://www.researchinfonet.org/infolit/ridls/strand2/) and are also being tested through the JISC funded DaMSSI-ABC project. This is a set of criteria that could be used to describe, review and assess practice in information literacy training. Feedback will assist us in decision making on whether this is a useful approach for staff who design and deliver courses to support the development of researchers’ information handling skills.

Further feedback is being sought on strand 5 of the initiative which is to offer thoughts on possible research projects on open data – so feedback/ideas from the M25 SG on this would be extremely helpful at this stage. SG to feedback to CW by December 18 2012

7.5 Communications and Marketing – Annual Report/Flyer/E-Bulletin 

NR to send out hard copy of the annual report and a flyer with a letter from JT to all M25 members before Christmas. NR to distribute E-Bulletin as soon as possible.

 

PROJECT GROUPS – ACTION ITEMS:

7.3.a    LD to talk to AL regarding the use of Staff Room to create cpd25 discussion forums for each cpd25 event.

7.3.b.   NR/Elaine Salter to distribute postcards.

7.4       SG to feedback to CW by December 18 2012.

7.5.a.   NR to send out hard copy of the annual report and flyer with a letter from JT to all M25 members before Christmas.

7.5.b.   NR to distribute E-Bulletin as soon as possible.

 

8. Membership     

SL asked if we should retain the associated membership category? The M25 Steering Group agreed that we didn’t need it as a Consortium and it only complicated the process for membership.

 

Action Item:

8.1 SL to update the governance documentation to remove the associate membership category. This will required approval at the AGM because it’s an amendment to the M25 Consortium governance documents. 

 

9. Treasurer’s Report

The M25 Steering Group acknowledged and thanked the work of Caroline Lloyd, Nikki Randall and Claire Hackshall for finalising the 2011/2012 finances for submission to the auditors.

CL reported that spending is on track for the 2012/2013 financial year but that we aren’t fully aware of the financial impact of the relocation yet. There at still 10 subscriptions still outstanding for the 2012/2013 year but they are being chased up.

There is an action item for CL to review the auditors. However CL recommended that we keep our current auditors (Kingston Smith) for 2012/2013 but complete a full review in 2013/2014. As part of the review in 2013/2014 we can source quotes for different auditors to compare the service and value for money. This was agreed by the M25 Steering Group.

 

Action Item:

9.    CL to see if the M25 Auditing fee compares with Sconul’s auditing fee.

 

10.  Strategic Partnerships

KI reported that the 1994 group is in a contracting state. AB is on the Inspire Management board through the M25 and they have a find it service. Simon Jackson is taking over from Philip Payne. AB to feedback on the find it service. MW reported that the London Library Health Committees are contracting from 5 areas into 3 areas from April 2013.

 

Action Item:

10.  AB to feedback on the find it service.

 

11.  Checking of Representatives

No changes.

 

11.  Steering Group Calendar

Steering Group Planning Afternoon and XMAS   Dinner Friday 18th January 2013 University of Sussex
Steering Group Meeting Thursday 7th March 2013 University of East London
Steering Group Meeting Tuesday 11th December 2012 British Library
2013 AGM and Annual Conference Tuesday 23rd April 2013 Wellcome Collection Conference Centre
20th Anniversary Event Wednesday 12th June 2013 The Stationers’ Hall

 

Summary of Actions

3.1 JT and Relocation Project Team to finalise the costings and agreement with Senate House for final consideration by the M25 Steering Group.

3.2 The final relocation agreement (including costings) to be presented at the 2013 AGM.

3.3 JT to get back to back to the other potential venues in the new year (Cilip and 113 Euston Street) to advise we are investigating other options.

4.1 J.G/JT to put together a one page document on the CMS to list the services we need to maintain and the key functions of each website.

4.2 J.G/AL to scope out the costs to employ a project officer to work on the CMS upgrade.

5.1 NR to finalise the discussion points from the November Strategic Planning Afternoon in time for the January M25 Steering Group Planning Afternoon.

5.2 NR to finalise the agenda and papers for the January planning Afternoon with assistance from JT and SL.

5.3. M25 SG members to information CL of their ideas/requests for expenditure over the next 3 years.  

5.4. NR to investigate The Science Museum as a potential venue.

5.5. NR, KI & AC to endeavour to finalise a venue, date and time for the 20th Anniversary Party.

5.6. Include the 2013 Conference as an agenda item for the January Steering Group planning day. The theme should be finalised by this date as well as a date/venue.

6.1 CL to allocate £2100 to Search25 development in 2012/2013 (to be spent by 31 July 2013) and move £5000 from 12/13 into the 13/14 budget for Search25 recurrent development expenditure.

6.2 JT and JG to meet to discuss the work involved in updating this information and how much time is realistically needed and what are the skills involved in doing this.

6.3 JG to put a note on the Inform25 website directing people to the new Search25 service.

6.4 MS to work with the Search25 Development Group to collate an information package to go out to all the Search25 champions and also to coordinate an event where this information could be distributed and questions could an answered about the Search25 service.

6.5 CL to distribute these documents (Post Project Development Blog and SERO Search25 Licensing Blog) to the Bloomsbury Group and JT asked everyone could send these out to their institutions.

6.6 NR to put Open Licensing and Future Developments to be included on the January agenda.

6.7 AB to ask EC to prepare document with clear outcomes and objectives for the Customer Services Group (and each sub-group) in 2013/2014.

7.3.a. LD to talk to AL regarding the use of Staff Room to create cpd25 discussion forums for each cpd25 event.

7.3.b NR/Elaine Salter to distribute postcards.

7.4  SG to feedback to CW by December 18 2012.

7.5.a NR to send out hard copy of the annual report and flyer with a letter from JT to all M25 members before Christmas.

7.5.b NR to distribute E-Bulletin as soon as possible.

8.1 SL to update the governance documentation to remove the associate membership category. This will required approval at the AGM because it’s an amendment to the M25 Consortium governance documents.

10. CL to see if the M25 Auditing fee compares with Sconul’s auditing fee.

11. AB to feedback on the find it service.