Friday 21st September 2012

Note: The following minutes are unapproved and will be formally agreed at the next meeting of the Steering Group.

Minutes of the meeting held at London School of Economics & Political Science on Friday 21 September 2012.

Present: Bethan Adams (BA), Erin Caseley (EC), Ann Cummings (AC) John Gilby (JG), Kitty Inglis (KI), Sandy Leitch (SL), Caroline Lloyd (CL), Antony Loveland (AL), Nikki Randall (NR), Martin Scarrott (MS), John Tuck (JT), Cathy Walsh (CW), Michelle Wake (MW).

1. Welcome and any apologies:

Apologies from Angus Brown (AB), Louise Doolan (LD) & Rupert Williams (RW).

The Consortium welcomed back Bethan Adams.

2. Minutes of the last SG meeting

2.1 Approval of minutes:
The minutes from the SG meeting held on 11 July 2012 were agreed as a true record.

2.2 Review Actions:
The following actions are still outstanding from the 11 July 2012 Steering Group meeting:

3.  JT to finalise the Consortium Strategy: Key projects 2012/13 document for the November Networking event. This document should be distributed, with the full strategic plan 2010/2011 – 2012/2013 to the M25 Representatives prior to the strategy planning day.

5.1  SL to reply to Regents College membership application.

5.2  AB to follow up with David Pearson about the potential membership of the Guildhall Library at the Inspire meeting. AB will report back to the SG following this catch up.

5.3  SL to follow up with Bishopsgate to re-engage their potential interest in M25 membership.

12.1 AL and JG to meet with M&M and report  back to the SG to consider at the December SG meeting. [On hold]

12.2 CL to note the increase in funds to complete the CMS upgrade possibly to come out of the reserves.

12.3 MS to provide the name of the company that updated their student and staff portal as another potential company to complete this work.

14.1 AL and EC to meet to talk about the cpd25 relationship with CMS and what level of support they will need.

14.2 LD (Staff Room), AL (cpd25) & AB to meet to discuss the mutual benefits and synergies of this relationship.

14.3 KI noted that SCONUL are reviewing their benchmarking processes and she will report back to the M25 SG following this meeting/planning session with further information.

3. M25 Consortium and Relocation from LSE
The Steering Group discussed the formal notification received from the LSE regarding the M25’s use of office space (and the associated agreement) at the LSE Library being formally terminated on July 31st 2013.

After receiving the letter, it should be noted, SL and JT advised the M25 Support Team members, John Gilby, Claire Hackshall and Nikki Randall, of the above outlined decision by the LSE.

A task and finish group will be established, led by John Tuck, to organise alternative arrangements and relocation of the M25 Support Team. Bethan Adams agreed participate in this group.

4. Treasurer’s Update

Preparations for the audit of the 2011/12 accounts are underway. Documentation will be submitted to Kingston Smith on 1st November 2012

The Treasurer also noted the M25 Consortium will have unpredictable costs in 2012/2013 (given the requirement to relocate the M25 support team) and therefore will need to be careful with money.

JT noted the need to look at the Risk Register again, given that the budget is linked to the risk register. It was noted by the SL that the risk register is reviewed annually, usually at the SG planning day in January.

5. Membership
Cranfield
SL presented a summary of Cranfield University’s request to join the consortium. Following discussion it was agreed that the Steering group should recommend that Cranfield is eligible and the application supported. SL will alert institutional representatives to the application and the Steering Groups recommendation, requesting any concerns or objections are sent to the secretary within two weeks. This is in line with the amendments to the articles of association governing new members.

BFI Library
It was suggested that the BFI Library might be a positive addition to the M25 Consortium with their unique film collections. AB was nominated to approach the BFI Library about joining the Consortium.

Action Items:
5.1 SL to notify the wider M25 membership  [Post meeting note: SL sent an email to all M25 Representatives asking for their opinions and support for Cranfield’s Membership. No objections were received. Cranfield University became a member of the M25 Consortium of Academic Libraries on Monday 15th October 2012. This will also be noted at the forthcoming AGM in April 2013.]
5.2 AB to approach BFI Library about joining the M25 Consortium of Academic Libraries.

6. Task and Finish Group Updates


All task and finish groups as well as the Customer Services Group and Search25 Development group provided their remits and membership lists to NR and these have been added to the M25 Website under CURRENT ACTIVITIES.

It was noted that there should be a new format for steering group meetings to ensure that every group can provide updates on their work. The categories will be as follows:

Consortium Services: cpd25, Search25, Customer Services Group, E-BASS25.
Task and finish groups: Staff room, M25/RIN Information Literacy Network, Communications and Marketing.
Events: Strategic Planning afternoon, Networking, 2013 Conference, Anniversary Event.

Action Item:
6.1 NR to implement new format for providing updates at the December Steering Group meeting.

7. cpd25 update

Planning is well underway for the development of the 2012/2013 cpd25 programme.

The relationship between cpd25 and the Customer Services Group is continuing to strengthen with the appointment of Libby Homer as Chair of cpd25 Task Group 3 (replacing Catherine Philpotts whose role at the London Metropolitan has increased and no longer has the time to commit to cpd25). Libby provides a key link between cpd25 and the Customer Services Group as she will be sitting on both Steering Groups from December 2012.

AL reported that he had received a letter from Simon Edwards, the CILIP Director of Professional Services, advising that CILIP Council were discontinuing the Seal of Recognition from July 2013. KI asked if there were any other organisations that we could get recognition from , e.g.  the Leadership Foundation for Higher Education.. JT would raise this issue at the Strategic Planning Day in November.

Cpd25 have been invited to speak at the joint conference of the Chinese University of Hong Kong and the Joint University Librarians Advisory Committee to be held on 30-31 May 2013. Conference website:http://www.lib.cuhk.edu.hk/conference/alyy2013/index.htm. Antony Loveland will attend and present at this conference to represent cpd25 and the M25 Consortium of Academic Libraries. There will be no cost to the M25 Consortium.

Action Item:
7.1 JT and NR to add Cilip’s discontinuation of the Seal of Recognition to the list of items to be discussed at the Strategic Planning Day in November.

8. Search25 update


A substantial amount of progress has been made since the last SG meeting, including:
• James Riding completing his work on the project including coordinating the production and delivery of marketing material: oyster wallets, posters and bookmarks and packing them into bags ready for onward distribution.
• Final deliverable reports received from Sheffield (Evaluation) and Sero (Open Licensing).
• Final project documents being drafted.
• Service moved to final virtual server (Linode), test server set up for checking software updates and version control system in operation.
• Project finances being finalised via Royal Holloway – anticipate a slightly higher underspend than originally thought so this means M25 pay a little less for promotional costs as more will be funded from the JISC grant.

JG tgave a live demo of the current service showing searches, faceting, the improved holdings data and the various search options available. This was followed by viewing a video that had been produced to promote “Library Hopping” (finding and obtaining resources in other M25 libraries). SG members gave useful feedback on the service and video including the fact that the video gives the impression that ALL students can borrow. It is very important that the M25 makes it clear that this is not the case and that it is the responsibility of all people to check the rules at each Library before they go to check they can actually borrow. Words to this effect should be included in the video.

JG and MS described the next steps for the project:
• Set up the Service Development Group, calling for expressions of interest from people with a technical background and also a user of the service. Continue with testing and minor changes to user interface & search settings where possible (there is potential in the future for an app to be developed);
• Send out promotional materials and make people aware of soft launch of service;
• InforM25 will be turned off at a later date; and
• Officially launch the Search25 service at November networking event.

Search25 Trademark


SL advised that the Search25 application for trademark has been registered. The Intellectual Property Office will decide on the suitability of the trademark. All trade marks that are accepted and are awaiting registration are advertised in the Trade Marks Journal. SL noted that the Search25 classification of field is in two categories: education and software development. The trademark will last for 10 years.

If the Consortium decides it is appropriate, cpd25 and M25 can be trademarked as well.

Action Items:

8.1 JG to amend a word on the Search25 home page from ‘obtain’ to ‘locate’.
8.2 JG to include a sentence about checking if you can borrow before going to the library in the Search 25 video.
8.3 JG to show the Search25 promotional video to the libraries that feature in the video before it goes live.
8.4 NR to add the Search25 report from SERO as an agenda item for the December 2012 Steering Group.

9. E-BASS25


Following the joint M25 Consortium and MLAG (Museum Librarians and Archivists Group) e-books survey of summer 2011, the M25 Consortium was successful in a bid for £39,426 from the Joint Information Systems Committee (JISC) in June 2012.

E-Books as a Shared Service in M25 (E-BASS25) is being led by Royal Holloway, University of London (on behalf of the M25 Consortium), with partners at Kingston University, JISC Collections and the Science Museum (on behalf of MLAG). Dominic Tate (Royal Holloway), e-mail: dominc.tate@rhul.ac.uk, is project manager.

In addition, the team is working closely with SCONUL, LUPC, SUPC, Sero Consulting and the University of Surrey. The project seeks to define practical guidelines and tools which will enable libraries to work together with providers and purchasing consortia to deliver the best possible return on investment and the highest level of efficiency in this priority area of library provision.
Updates on the work’s progress will be posted to the E-BASS25 blog throughout the project athttp://ebass25.rhul.ac.uk/.
The project commenced on August 1st 2012 and will run until February 1st 2013.

10. Customer Services Group update

The next Customer Services Steering Group meeting will be held on 16th November 2012 so there will be a more extensive update on activities at the December M25 Steering Group meeting. A Customer Service Resources page has been added to the M25 website (http://www.m25lib.ac.uk/customer_service_resources/index.php).

11. Strategy Event


30 M25 Representatives have RSVP’d to attend the strategic planning event. NR will send around a reminder to all M25 Representatives/Directors asking them to RSVP.

The following documentation should be distributed to all delegates prior to the planning afternoon:
• 2010/11 – 2012/13 Strategy
• Consortium Strategy: Key projects 2012/13: agendum 3.1 July 2012 (paper to be updated by JT)
• Annual report 2011/12

The M25 Support Team need to send its list of projects/duties/activities to be completed over the next 12 months to assist the SG with mapping out priorities as well as the capacity of the Consortium. This will feed into the Strategic plan.

Action Items:
11.1
 M25 Support Team members to send the list of their work/duties/projects to be completed over the next 12 months to JT and the M25 Officers to consider (and possible inclusion in the operational plan) by Monday 29th October 2012.
11.2 NR to coordinate with JT all the documents that need to be distributed to the delegates prior to the planning day.  The papers must be distributed by Friday 9th November 2012.
11.3 NR and JT to coordinate who (from the Steering Group) will facilitate the 4 groups for discussion.
11.4 NR to coordinate with JT / SL the materials and resources required for the planning day (i.e.paper, pens, paper, laptop etc).

12. November Networking Event


Invitations have been distributed for the networking event and so far 50 people have RSVP’d (the total capacity is 100 people). The format for the evening will be as follows:

5:30pm – Arrival and drinks
5:45pm – Welcome from the M25 Chair
5:50pm – Introduction from The Wiener Library: Katharina Hübschmann, Senior Librarian
6:00pm – Search25 Promotional Video to play and Official Launch of the Service
(JT to launch)
6:10pm – Canapés and drinks served until 8:30pm
6:30pm to 8:00pm – Tours of the library (max 10 people at a time).
8:30pm – Finish

It was decided that the contributors to Search25 as well as the nominated Search25 Champions from each M25 Institution should be invited to the M25 Networking Event.

Action Items:
12.1
 NR to invite Search25 stakeholders to the Networking event including the people from SERO, Sheffield, Jisc as well as all the Search25 champions from each M25 member institution.
12. 2 NR to finalise catering, name badges, equipment to play the Search25 video, marketing material to hand out on the night (Search25 and M25 flyer), the numbers of delegates attending and send out a reminder to all delegates attending.

13. Conference 2013

Theme:
MW asked for SG members ideas on a theme for the conference. SG Members to email their ideas to MW. The main idea was the concept of Moving Forward. It should be noted that SCONUL’s conference theme is New Roles for a New Era. MW needs to finalise the exact wording for the theme.

Venue:
MW suggested a number of potential venues for the 2013 Conference and it was agreed that Central St Martin’s School of Design’s new building in King’s Cross would be the first preference. Other ideas included the Wellcome Building and Cranfield. It was noted however, that Cranfield might be too far to travel.

Key-note speaker:
MW acknowledged the importance of engaging a high profile speaker for this event and that we should aim high. The first choice for a guest speaker is Mr Roly Keating, the new Chief Executive Officer of The British Library. Other suggestions include Alan Langlands, the Chief Executive of HEFCE, and Vice-Chancellor of the University of London, Professor Sir Adrian Smith.

Sponsorship:
It is very important that the sponsorship for the conference is completely separate from the 20th Anniversary sponsorship. We should approach E-book suppliers and perhaps publishers for the conference.

AC volunteered to be involved with organising the 2013 Conference.

Action Items:
13.1
 MW to approach University of the Arts, London to determine if Central St Martin’s new King’s Cross campus is suitable and available as a conference venue. MW and NR to do a site visit of Central St Martin’s and secure a date for the event.
13.2 As soon as the date for the event is secure, MW to approach Mr Roly Keating, with assistance from LD, to invite him to be the key-note speaker at the M25 2013 Annual Conference.
13.3 SG members to send their conference theme ideas and sponsorship company ideas to MW. MW to finalise the exact wording of the theme so we can start approaching companies to sponsor the event.

14. 20th Anniversary Celebratory Event


The event launches the 2013/2014 year which will be the 20th year of the M25 Consortium.

JT identified his need to hand over as lead on this project as his time will be occupied with coordinating the task and finish group for the impending support team relocation. KI agreed to take over as lead on this project and AC will support from the marketing perspective

Action Item:
14.1 JT to set up a meeting with the Anniversary Task and Finish group including KI and AC.

15.  Communications and Marketing Update

Annual Report
All articles have been submitted to the LSE Design Unit and work will begin to compile the report in October. The timing for the completion of the report had to be pushed back slightly because there were delays in receiving the articles. The Annual Report will be completed and ready to be distributed (electronically) before the Strategic Planning Afternoon and Annual Networking Event.

AC suggested taking articles from the Annual Report and blowing them up to poster size to scatter around the room at the Networking event.

M25 Flyer
The flyer has been completed. AC volunteered to write a letter to all M25 Representatives introducing the flyer and asking if they would like more copies to be sent to their institutions.

The flyer will be used as a tool to engage potential new members, at the networking event, at the conference and will also be included in cpd25 packs.

Action Items:
15.1
 NR to coordinate Annual Report posters to be printed for display at the November Networking event.
15.2 AC to write a letter which will be sent to each M25 Representative/Directors introducing the M25 Flyer.

16.  Strategic partnerships

Action Item:
16.1 NR to Add Cathy Walsh to the strategic Partnerships document as the contact for the RIDLs (Research Information and Digital Literacies Coalition) Steering Group.
16.2 The former UCR Group is setting up regional groupings including one in the South and South East. AC to enquire and to report back at the December SG meeting.

17. Checking of Representatives list

Action Item:
17.1 NR to add Bethan Adams and Andrew McDonald to the M25 Representative list and also to update the M25 Website and Distribution Lists.
17.2 JG to add Andrew McDonald to the Directors’ Room.

18. Steering Group Calendar

M25 Networking Event Wednesday 14thNovember, 5:30pm to 8:30pm The Wiener Library for the Study of the Holocaust & Genocide29 Russell Square, London WC1B 5DP
M25 Planning Afternoon Wednesday 14thNovember, 3:00pm to 5:00pm London Mathematical Society   57-58 Russell Square, London WC1B 4HS
Steering Group Meeting Tuesday 11th December 2012 British Library
Steering Group Planning Afternoon and XMAS Dinner Friday 18th January 2013 University of Sussex
Steering Group Meeting Thursday 7th March 2013 University of East London

Summary of Actions

2.2  The following dot points are action items not completed following the July 2012 SG meeting:
• JT to finalise the Consortium Strategy: Key projects 2012/13 document for the November Networking event. This document should be distributed, with the full strategic plan 2010/2011 – 2012/2013 to the M25 Representatives prior to the strategy planning day.
• SL to reply to Regents College membership application.
• AB to follow up with David Pearson about the potential membership of the Guildhall Library at the Inspire meeting. AB will report back to the SG following this catch up.
• SL to follow up with Bishopsgate to re-engage their potential interest in M25 membership.
• AL and JG to meet with M&M and bring the big ideas back to the SG to consider at the December SG meeting. [On hold]
• CL to note the increase in funds to complete the CMS upgrade possibly to come out of the reserves.
• MS to provide the name of the company that updated their student and staff portal as another potential company to complete this work.
• AL and EC to meet to talk about the cpd25 relationship with CMS and what level of support they will need.
• LD (Staff Room), AL (cpd25) & AB to meet to discuss the mutual benefits and synergies of this relationship.
• KI noted that SCONUL are reviewing their benchmarking processes and she will report back to the M25 SG following this meeting/planning session with further information.

5.1  SL to notify the wider M25 membership [Post meeting note: SL sent an email to all M25 Representatives asking for their opinions and support for Cranfield’s Membership. No objections were received. Cranfield University became a member of the M25 Consortium of Academic Libraries on Monday 15th October 2012. This will also be noted at the forthcoming AGM in April 2013.]

5.2  AB to approach BFI Library about joining the M25 Consortium of Academic Libraries.

6.1  NR to implement new format for providing updates at the December Steering Group meeting.

7.1  JT and NR to add Cilip’s discontinuation of the Seal of Recognition to the list of items to be discussed at the Strategic Planning Day in November.

8.1  JG to amend a word on the Search25 home page from ‘obtain’ to ‘locate’.

8.2  JG to include a sentence about checking if you can borrow before going to the library in the Search 25 video.

8.3  JG to show the Search25 promotional video to the libraries that feature in the video before it goes live.

8.4  NR to add the Search25 report from SERO as an agenda item for the December 2012 Steering Group.

11.1  M25 Support Team members to send the list of their work/duties/projects to be completed over the next 12 months to JT and the M25 Officers to consider (and possible inclusion in the operational plan) by Monday 29th October 2012.

11.2  NR to coordinate with JT all the documents that need to be distributed to the delegates prior to the planning day.  The papers must be distributed by Friday 9th November 2012.

11.3  NR and JT to coordinate who (from the Steering Group) will facilitate the 4 groups for discussion.

11.4  NR to coordinate with JT/ SL the materials and resources required for the planning day (i.e. paper, pens, paper, laptop etc).

12.1  NR to invite Search25 stakeholders to the Networking event including the people from SERO, Sheffield, Jisc as well as all the Search25 champions from each M25 member institution.

12. 2  NR to finalise catering, name badges, equipment to play the Search25 video, marketing material to hand out on the night (Search25 and M25 flyer), the numbers of delegates attending and send out a reminder to all delegates attending.

13.1  MW to approach University of the Arts, London to determine if Central St Martin’s new King’s Cross campus is suitable and available as a conference venue. MW and NR to do a site visit of Central St Martin’s and secure a date for the event.

13.2  As soon as the date for the event is secure, MW to approach Mr Roly Keating, with assistance from LD, to invite him to be the key-note speaker at the M25 2013 Annual Conference.

13.3  SG members to send their conference theme ideas and sponsorship company ideas to MW. MW to finalise the exact wording of the theme so we can start approaching companies to sponsor the event.

14.1  JT to set up a meeting with the Anniversary Task and Finish group including KI and AC.

15.1  NR to coordinate Annual Report posters to be printed for display at the November Networking event.

15.2  AC to write a letter which will be sent to each M25 Representative/Directors introducing the M25 Flyer.

16.1  NR to Add Cathy Walsh to the strategic Partnerships document as the contact for the RIDLs (Research Information and Digital Literacies Coalition) Steering Group.

16.2  The former UCR Group is setting up regional groupings including one in the South and South East. AC to enquire and to report back at the December SG meeting.

17.1  NR to add Bethan Adams and Andrew McDonald to the M25 Representative list and also to update the M25 Website and Distribution Lists.

17.2  JG to add Andrew McDonald to the Directors’ Room.