News from Buckinghamshire New University

Note: The following minutes are unapproved and will be formally agreed at the next meeting of the Steering Group.

 

Minutes of the meeting held at Royal Holloway University of London

Present: Bethan Adams (BA), Angus Brown (AB), Vicky Falconer (VF), John Gilby (JG), Sandy Leitch (SL), Caroline Lloyd (CL), Mary Nixon (MN), John Tuck (JT).


1. Welcome and any apologies
:

Apologies from Julie Brittain (JB), Kitty Inglis (KI), Anne Murphy (AM), Pete Ryan (PR), Michelle Wake (MW)


2. Minutes of the last meeting, and review of actions
:

Matter of accuracy: BA is listed on the minutes under apologies, but was in fact present at the meeting. Action 2.1: VF add BA to those present at last meeting.

Most actions were related to preparations for AGM, and were all completed.

Others not relating to AGM:

Under 4.1.1: SG approved the Support Team’s ideas for the M25 photo competition. There will be a small panel of judges and three prizes. CL advised that LSHTM have run similar competitions very successfully. Action 2.2: CL pass on details of contact at LSHTM for Vicky to liaise with regards advertising/wording of campaign.

Those actions relating to T&FGs (5.3; 5.6.1; 6.1) are in progress.

Under 9.1: VF confirmed that Governance Documents are updated and on the website.

Under 12.1: JT will update the Shared Services & Related Activities document with further information.
3. Matters arising:

N/A


4. Activities Report
:

There have been a few staffing changes to note since the last SG meeting. Andrew Amato (AA) left the Support Team in May to start his new role at LSE. Also members of SG have now departed from SG since AGM: The SG extended sincere thanks to AA, JH, RL and NB for all their contributions. Antony Loveland will take over as Chair of cpd25, and join the M25 SG, on 21st July. (Formal thanks to MN noted under item 15)

It was advised that UCL and the School of Pharmacy will be merging in due course.

Action 4.1: JT to contact UCL rep to ascertain who will be acting as M25 rep after the date of the UCL/School of Pharmacy merger.  [Complete. Paul Ayris has confirmed MW as UCL rep.]

JT reported that members of the E-Books procurement group met with representatives from JISC at the Science Museum Library. The E-Books survey that the group devised has been sent to JISC for approval, and the final survey will be sent shortly to libraries to complete.

Action 4.2: JT to contact LUPC to ensure they are informed about e-books consortial work.]

Involvement in the Information handling initiative with RIN, JB had conveyed her paper to the SG outlining progress at the last meeting. The SG agreed that the work in this area was very positive, and endorsed and encourages further M25 participation in the initiative. CL advised that Jane Falconer from LSHTM is Chairing the working group, so will be publicising the activities; it is not anticipated that Support Team will need to provide assistance.

JT reported that he and SL had attended the NOWAL board meeting in June. The SG supported the maintaining of these dialogues and networks, and JT reported that he will be visiting WHELF in October. JT reported that his attendance at the LIBER Conference in June very useful, and had submitted a poster on M25 activities and services. Action: 4.3 JT forward VF poster file, to make available on M25 website. [Done.]

JG confirmed that InforM25 is now running on the virtual server; all initial issues have now been resolved. The M25 business websites were moved to a new host (TSOhosts) in May, again with some subsequent problems relating to the technical architecture of websites. JG advised that both websites, and the Directors’ Room service, use  the outdated Joomla system. The SG agreed provisionally to the suggestion to move to a new Content Management System. The move would involve choosing a new provider and deciding on what to do with design and website content. JG advised that an estimation of work and costs, including a number of options, is in progress. Action 4.4: JG to produce a report to bring to the next Officers meeting. JG advised that some outstanding DR policy issues remain.  Regarding the accounts of staff that have left their jobs, it was agreed to delete the staff profile after a year; within the year, an update  would be displayed on the profile page, and posts would remain unchanged.
5. Membership

It was formally noted that University of Hertfordshire will be withdrawing from the Consortium.

SL advised that she had received an inquiry from a potential new member – a private provider (INTO), working in partnership with an HE institution (UEA). The Consortium Constitution does not exclude private providers per se, but further clarification needs to be sought. Action 5.1: SL to contact representatives at both INTO and UEA.

It was formally noted that Mary Nixon  as outgoing cpd25 Chair, will retire as M25 Director and Trustee. The consortium agreed to appoint Antony Loveland as a Consortium Director and Trustee effective from 1/8/2011. Action 5.2 SL to request forms be completed via Kingston Smith to record the appointment and retirement  of a new director and trustee reflecting these changes.
6. InforM25 Review

BA conveyed sincere thanks to JG and AA for their work on the review.

Search Catalogues and Union List of Serials services (SC/ULS):

The SG agreed that there is enough evidence to suggest very strongly that the services are still needed. It was agreed that it was not an option to cut services, or continue running them without making any improvements. It was agreed to implement options 4 (“Low Hanging Fruit”) and also 5 (merging SC and ULS services) outlined in the report.

SG agreed that a Task and Finish Group (T&FG) should be set up as soon as possible. The remit of group would be to prioritise the work, define costs etc. The group should comprise a SG champion and members with expertise/knowledge/interest in the following areas: technical knowledge, project management, marketing, fund-raising/bid-writing . Marketing of the services, once improvements had been made, would be crucial. Similarly, the group should be ready to respond to prospective funding calls that could enable development of the services to a higher level in the future (e.g. options 7, 8 – “InforM25 Plus”, “Megalib”).

Find A Library and Visit a Library services (FAL/VAL):

The SG agreed that designated work would be undertaken by the same T&FG set up to undertake work on SC/ULS. It was agreed that FAL/VAL services were well-used services, particularly important to the non-HEFCE institutions, and that similarly the services should not be cut. It will be considered whether it would be helpful to amalgamate these two services. It was agreed that the T&FG should develop into an InforM25 Steering Group.

Action 6.1: JT/JG to produce document detailing decisions on InforM25 review process; document, to be posted on M25 website should link to report and be available to members.

Action 6.2: Send report to SUNCAT and EDINA, with any confidential information removed by JG

Action 6.3: JG to compile a first draft of low hanging fruit tasks, i.e,. from Review and other related documentation
7. Treasurer’s Report:

It was formally noted that the names on the Consortium mandate would change to reflect the changes in staffing outlined earlier. The SG agreed to the proposal that all those on mandate would be Consortium signatories. Action 7.1: VF check wording from last time the mandate changed. The SG approved the proposed 2011-12 budget. CL advised that she will supervise the process of the financial review of 2010/11 accounts, the timetable as follows:

Nov 2011: M25 and cpd25 accounts scrutinised by KS

Jan 2012: SG approve and sign off M25 and cpd25 accounts

March 2012: M25 and cpd25 accounts distributed to members a clear 21 days prior to AGM

April 2012: M25 and cpd25 accounts received by members at AGM

April 2012: M25 and cpd25 accounts submitted to Companies House in time for 30/4/2012 (therefore AGM should be timed to allow for this) and Charities Commission in time for 31/5/2012

The SG approved the formal notification of the application for a Consortium credit card, and agreed that it would be essential to formalise procedures and protocols . Action 7.2: JG draft credit card document, send to CL.

CL confirmed that the Consortium will be moving to Sage system, and advised that she would be meeting with VF at LSE 21st July to begin the input of financial data.
8. Task and Finish Groups, and related activities:

8.1. Directors Development survey

JT summarised findings of the report that had been distributed. Action 8.1.1: MN highlight areas within the remit of cpd25; will be taken over by AL. It was noted that an idea for Conference planning on scenario planning had come out of the survey. Action 8.1.2: Convey ideas on Conference planning to group, when set up. It was agreed that a follow up Task & Finish Group (T&FG) would be set up to take forward the work of the survey; the group will require a champion on the SG. Action: 8.1.3: JT approach KI re possibility of being SG champion for Directors Development follow-up group.

8.2. BL Reading Rooms usage

AM not in attendance at meeting, so was unable to report. Action 8.2.1: MN to contact AM.

8.3. Marketing and Communication – related T&FGs

PR not in attendance at meeting to unable to report. Action 8.3.1: JT contact PR. [Done.]

8.3.1 Annual Report 2010-11

VF reported that it had been difficult to arrange an initial meeting at LSE Design unit that both VF and PR were able attend. It was agreed that VF should go ahead and set up a first meeting before end of July. Action 8.3.1.1: VF contact confirm meeting with LSE Design Unit. VF liaise with PR regarding issues to convey at meeting. A few potential inclusions had already been noted, and a possible theme around Collections. Action 8.3.1.2: SG convey further ideas re contents and theme to VF by end of July.

8.3.2 Trade marking cpd25

MN reported that she had looked into trade marking. Whilst inexpensive, it appears to be a time consuming process. It was suggested that the Consortium auditors might be able to provide quick and reliable advice. Action 8.3.2.1: CL get in touch with Tom Holt at Kingston Smith re trade marking.
9. Steering Group Champions:

Confirmed champions as follows:
Marketing and Communications-related T&FGs: PR
Staff Room T&FG: Matthew Lawson (ML)
RIN/Information Literacy: JB
NHS/Health Libraries: MW

Still to confirm:
Directors Room/Directors Development (Action 9.1: JT contact KI)
Inform25 T&FG (Action 9.2: JT contact Cath Morgan (CM))
Access Scheme (Action 9.3: JT contact AB)
VF provided information on Access statistics. Action 9.4: VF circulate Access statistics via a email. The SG agreed that the marketing of the scheme is a high priority.
10. Data protection:

SL outlined the two papers that had been circulated – one looking at areas/issues for consideration, and the second a rough draft of a data processing register. SL had also drafted a next steps summary; these steps will be actioned at the next Officers/Support Team meeting. Action 10.1: Add data processing to next Officers/Support Team meeting agenda. A separate meeting with Sl and JG, to establish technical implications/issues, will also be required. Action 10.2: VF set the date for data processing meeting. Once the processing register is complete, a statement will need to be added to the website.

 

11. Dates of meetings 2011/12:

The SG identified the best weeks for the meetings for 2011/12. Action 11.1: VF email SG with choices for individual days, to confirm meeting dates for 2011/12 as soon as possible.
12. Networking Event:

VF reported that there had been an offer from Ravensbourne College of Communication to host the event, and that she would be visiting on 12th July to discuss options with April Yasamee (AY). JT reported that he had also had an informal offer from Lambeth Palace. Action 12.1: VF visit Ravensbourne, and ascertain whether the venue is more suitable for hosting Networking Event or Conference. Action 12.2: JT follow up inquiry from Lambeth and pass details to VF.
13. Annual Conference:

It was agreed that the Conference organising group should be set up prior to the next SG meeting. Any sponsorship, such as Ex-Libris, would need to be organised as soon as possible thereafter. Action 13.1: VF add Conference planning (setting up of group; sponsorship) to agenda for next Officers/Support Team meeting.


14. Checking of contacts list
:

A few changes to the contacts list were identified. Action 14.1: VF update contacts list.
15. AOB:

Activity costing/SALT. Action 15.1: JT to seek Director to attend forthcoming SALT activity data meeting. [Done. Philip Payne and John Gilby attended]

As outgoing cpd25 Chair, this was the last SG meeting that MN was attending. Sincere thanks extended to MN for her hard work, enthusiasm and very valuable contribution.
Summary of Actions:

Action 2.1: VF add BA to those present at last meeting.

Action 2.2: CL pass on details of contact at LSHTM for Vicky to liaise with regards advertising/wording of competition.

Action 4.1: JT to contact UCL rep to ascertain who will be acting as M25 rep after the date of the UCL/School of Pharmacy merger.

Action 4.2: JT to contact LUPC to ensure they are informed about e-books consortial work.

Action: 4.3 JT forward VF poster file, to make available on M25 website.

Action 4.4: JG define options for new content management system and produce report to bring to the next Officers meeting.

Action 5.1: SL contact representatives at both INTO and UEA.

Action 5.2 SL to request forms be completed via Kingston Smith to record the appointment and retirement of a new director and trustee reflecting these changes.

Action 6.1: SG produce document detailing decisions on review process; document should link to report.

Action 6.2: Send InforM5 report to SUNCAT and EDINA, with any confidential information removed by JG

Action 6.3: JG to compile a first draft of low hanging fruit tasks, i.e,. from InforM25 Review and other related documentation

Action 7.2: JG draft credit card document, send to CL.

Action 8.1.1: MN highlight areas within the remit of cpd25; will be taken over by AL.

Action 8.1.2: SL to convey ideas on Conference planning to group, when set up.

Action: 8.1.3: JT approach KI re possibility of being SG champion for Directors Development follow-up group.

Action 8.2.1: MN to contact AM.

Action 8.3.1: JT to contact PR.

Action 8.3.1.1: VF contact confirm meeting with LSE Design Unit. VF liaise with PR regarding issues to convey at meeting.

Action 8.3.1.2: SG convey further ideas re contents and theme to VF by end of July.

Action 8.3.2.1: CL get in touch with Tom Holt at Kingston Smith re trade marking.

Action 9.1: JT contact KI re Directors Room/Directors’ Development

Action 9.2: JT contact Cath Morgan (CM) re InforM25 T&FG

Action 9.3: JT contact AB re Access Scheme

Action 9.4: VF circulate Access statistics via a email.

Action 10.1: Add data processing to next Officers/Support Team meeting agenda.

Action 10.2: VF set the date for data processing meeting.

Action 11.1: VF email SG with choices for individual meeting days, to confirm meeting dates for 2011/12 as soon as possible.

Action 12.1: VF visit Ravensbourne, and ascertain whether the venue is more suitable for hosting Networking Event or Conference.

Action 12.2: JT follow up inquiry from Lambeth and pass details to VF.

Action 13.1: VF add Conference planning (setting up of group; sponsorship) to agenda for next Officers/Support Team meeting.

Action 15.1: JT to seek Director to attend forthcoming SALT activity data meeting.