24 November 2010

Minutes of the meeting held at London Metropolitan University
Note: The following minutes are unapproved and will be formally agreed at the next meeting of the Steering Group.
Present: Beth Adams, Nick Bevan, Julie Brittain, Angus Brown, Vicky Falconer, John Gilby, Sandy Leitch, Julie Howell, Rosemary Lynch, Ann Murphy, Mary Nixon, Pete Ryan, John Tuck.
In attendance: Andrew Amato
1. Welcome, and any apologies for absence:

Beth Adams (BA) was welcomed to the Steering Group (SG).
Caroline Lloyd (CL) sent apologies.


2. Minutes of the last meeting, and review of actions
:

The minutes from the June 2010 meeting were accepted as an accurate record of proceedings.
3. Terms of Office:

The SG identified two amendments to be made to the M25 Steering Group Terms of Office document: CL’s term will end 2016 rather than 2018, and Nick Bevan (NB)’s term will end in 2011 rather than 2012. Action 3.1: Vicky Falconer (VF) to update Terms of Office document.

The SG noted that several members’ terms will end in 2011, with SG vacancies resulting. New members will be elected at the April 2011 AGM. Action 3.2: Sandy Leitch (SL) to take lead on publicising of 2011 SG vacancies, in time for election at April 2011 AGM.
4. Treasurer’s Report:

John Tuck (JT) ran through the Treasurer’s Report on CL’s behalf. Preparations for the audit by CL and the Support Team are underway. The Consortium is forecast to move to a balanced budget by 2011/12. JT also drew attention to a preliminary approach from LSE concerning the likelihood of a space charge to be levied at a future date for the space occupied by the M25 Consortium at LSE. He confirmed that this strengthened the case for returning to  a balanced budget as soon as possible. Action 4.1: JT/SL/CL to investigate wording of current agreements with LSE on use of space.


5. Review of cpd25 2009/10; update on 2010/11
:

Mary Nixon (MN) reported that whilst most of the smaller events in 2009/10 had achieved attendance figures that were consistent with the previous year, overall attendance was down. MN advised that this trend looks set to continue for 2010/11, and suggested that new strategies for marketing events should be sought. Some events may also be suitable for non-HE library staff, and advertised accordingly. Action 5.1: MN to liaise with PR regarding working on cpd25 advertising with the Marketing and Communications Working Group.

It was suggested that cpd25 work with the Director Services remit to extend the conversations with Directors to cover development/training needs for staff. The SG agreed with this idea. Action 5.2: Director Services Task and Finish Group to take on work around CPD needs for staff; RL to liaise with MN.
MN reminded the SG that her tenure as cpd25 Chair ends in 2011: she recommended that the incoming Chair should be a senior member of staff who is not an institution representative, and that the Consortium should interview potential candidates. The SG agreed with these recommendations. The post-holder will be appointed by a panel and the appointment approved by the Steering Group and confirmed  at the forthcoming AGM, as stipulated in the Articles of Association. The post should be advertised in good time. Action 5.3: VF to find application materials from 2007 cpd25 Chair recruitment. MN to prepare 2011 application pack.
6. Marketing Group update:

6.1: Annual Report 2009/10

PR reported that the last meeting of the Marketing and Communications Working Group had been cancelled, but that since the prior meeting activities had been focused on the M25 Annual Report. The first proof of the report was presented to the SG, who were pleased with progress. Some areas for changes were identified, which PR and VF will follow up with LSE Design Team. Action 6.1.1: PR and VF to notify design team of changes required for Annual Report.

The SG agreed that compiling a photographic archive of institutional images etc. would be helpful for future Annual Reports and any other Consortium publications. Action 6.1.2: PR to take the idea of an M25 photographic archive to the Marketing Group.
7. DDWG update:

Beth Adams (BA) reported that the last DDWG meeting had been cancelled, but that she, JT and Andrew Amato (AA) had participated in a conference call with JISC and RLUK on the Resource Discovery Taskforce. At the `meeting’, representatives from JISC and RLUK had alerted the Consortium to the forthcoming JISC 15/10 call, JISC infrastructure for education and research programme: it was felt that M25 had a lot to offer around the area of inter-operability, and also had the infrastructure in place to support a project. The SG supported JT’s suggestion, therefore, that the Consortium should submit a proposal. The deadline for proposals is the 15th November; Julie Brittain (JB) offered support with proposal writing. Action 7.1: BA and JT to co-ordinate next steps for JISC proposal, with assistance from John Gilby (JG) and AA.
8. Update on Directors’ Room:

Rosemary Lynch (RL) presented a summary to the SG of Directors’ Room usage in 2009-10. RL concluded that there is definitely potential for further take-up of the service, and  recommended a ‘light touch’ strategy in which service promotion is continued via weekly emails, using the service to direct SG activities, and by advertising the service at Consortium events. The SG concurred with this approach. RL also felt that there was potential for further development of the service; the SG agreed that a task and finish group could be set up to look at this. Action 8.1: RL to take forward setting up of task and finish group for Directors’ Room service development. It was suggested that the Directors’ Room project has not been written up or published in any of the relevant library press, and the SG agreed that this should be looked into.  Action 8.2: RL and SL to consider possibilities for publication of Directors’ Room project.
9. Staff Room prototype demo:

AA gave a presentation of the Staff Room in development, and the SG were very pleased with progress so far. AA reported that to launch the service at the November Networking Evening was technically feasible, but that it would be more difficult to get all the infrastructure around it in place by that time. The SG agreed, therefore, on a ‘soft’ launch of the service at the Networking event – comprising a small demonstration area where attendees could get a short and informal introduction to the service. AA advised the SG of some practical issues that would need to be resolved before the service is fully operational. For example, someone at each institution will need to authenticate registrations, and a code of conduct will also need to be finalised. The group agreed that there was potential for the Staff Room service to link into cpd25 activities. Action 9.1: BA to liaise with JG/AA to set up soft launch of Staff Room.
10. London Higher ITT shared services:

JT reported that he, BA and JH had attended a meeting in August with Grant Thornton Consultants, in connection with London Higher’s call for a feasibility study in shared services. The meeting went well, and Grant Thornton representatives were particularly interested in WAM25; JT reported that since the meeting, Grant Thornton were considering writing up the Consortium as a case study. The SG were in support of any further input from the Consortium on the feasibility study, should the opportunity arise. JT will keep the SG informed of any further developments. Action 10.1: JT to contact Grant Thornton.

JT asked whether the Consortium should be considering any other potential areas of shared service/activity – for instance a themed, regional digitisation project. The SG agreed to set up a task and finish group to look at this. In the meantime RL will speak to VADS (Visual Arts Data Service). Action10.2: RL to liaise with VADS. JT to coordinate setting up of the Group.
11. Access to resources by non-public sector bodies:

JT reported attendance at the meeting on Access to Library Resources, held at University of Westminster on the 15th July – during which attendees discussed activity, policies and concerns in this area. It was agreed at the meeting that there was a need to identify best practice and to define a common approach and that the M25 Consortium might have a role in drafting and communicating this.. The SG agreed that the forthcoming Exchange of Experience meeting with NOWAL, on the 4th November, will assist in this process. The SG agreed also to set up a task and finish group to look at access issues; a call will be sent out to invite interested staff to join the group. Action 11.1: JT to contact Nicky Kershaw from Anglia Ruskin, to co-ordinate next steps in setting up Access to Resources Task and Finish Group.
12. Networking Event and NOWAL (North West Academic Libraries) meeting:

SL reported that the M25 Networking Evening will take place on the 4th November at the Women’s Library, from 6pm. The exchange of experience meeting with representatives from NOWAL will take place prior to the Networking event, from 3pm, with a sub-group of the SG. The group agreed that issues for discussion should include marketing, training, access and ERM.

Rooms at the Women’s Library have been reserved for both the NOWAL meeting and the Networking event, and more detailed arrangements are being finalised. A ‘save the date’ has been sent out, and VF will distribute further publicity and invitations by the second week of October. Action 12.1: VF to distribute publicity and invitations for Networking Event.
13. Initial Conference Planning:

13.1 Report on 2010 Conference evaluations:
Angus Brown outlined a summary of the feedback that had been received by attendees at the first M25 Annual Conference. Unfortunately, low numbers of evaluation forms had been filled in, and AB recommended that a different method of gathering feedback data be used next time – for instance, electronically via Survey Monkey. However, the feedback that was received showed that the event went well; there were several very positive comments about pace of the event, mix of activities etc. The SG agreed that holding the AGM in the morning worked well, and that this format should be repeated for April 2011. The SG also agreed to look into the idea of incorporating the features that had been suggested for last year’s conference – though it was agreed that this should depend on whether these features would fit with the overall theme. A few potential themes were discussed, such as digitisation, resources and user experience. A Conference sub-group was set up: VF, SL, AB, JB.

 

14. Dates of next meetings

  • The meeting on the 16th December will be held at Goldsmiths
  • The meeting on the 13th January will now be held at Imperial
  • The 17th March meeting will be provisionally held at UCA. Action: RL to confirm.
  • 9th of June meeting will be held at Royal Holloway.

15. AOB

Members were ask to draw VF’s attention to any changes of directors or representatives of member libraries.

VF would bring a list of current representatives to the December meeting for the SG to review. Action All / VF.
Summary of Actions

  • Action 3.1: Vicky Falconer (VF) to update Terms of Office document.
  • Action 3.2: Sandy Leitch (SL) to take lead on publicising of 2011 SG vacancies, in time for election at April 2011 AGM.
  • Action 4.1: JT/SL/CL to investigate wording of current agreements with LSE on use of space.
  • Action 5.1: MN to liaise with PR regarding working on cpd25 advertising with Marketing and Communications Working Group.
  • Action 5.2: Director Services Task and Finish Group to take on work around CPD needs for staff; RL to liaise with MN.
  • Action 5.3: VF to find application materials from 2007 cpd25 Chair recruitment. MN to prepare 2011 application pack.
  • Action 6.1.1: PR and VF to notify design team of changes required for Annual Report.
  • Action 6.1.2: PR to take the idea of an M25 photographic archive to the Marketing Group.
  • Action 7.1: BA and JT to co-ordinate next steps for JISC proposal, with assistance from John Gilby (JG) and AA.
  • Action 8.1: RL to take forward setting up of task and finish group for Directors’ Room service development.
  • Action 8.2: RL and SL to consider possibilities for publication of Directors’ Room project.
  • Action 9.1: BA to liaise with JG/AA to set up soft launch of Staff Room.
  • Action 10.1: JT to contact Grant Thornton.
  • Action10.2: RL to liaise with VADS. JT to coordinate setting up of the Group.
  • Action 11.1: JT to contact Nicky Kershaw from Anglia Ruskin, to co-ordinate next steps in setting up Access to Resources Task and Finish Group.Action 12.1: VF to distribute publicity and invitations for Networking Event.