Wednesday 19 September 2007

Steering Group Meeting Minutes

Note: The following minutes have been approved.

Minutes for the meeting held at The Wellcome Library

Present: Nick Bevan, J. Adam Edwards, Robert Hall, Caroline Lloyd, Julie Howell, Rosemary Lynch, William Marsterson, Mary Nixon, Frances Norton, Anne Poulson, Maureen Wade, John Wolstenholme.

In Attendance: Genein Cox–De Sousa

1. Apologies for absence and welcome to new members
All SG members were in attendance. There were no new members to be welcomed.

2. Minutes of last meeting and matters arising
    2.1 The minutes of the Steering Group meeting held on Thursday 5 July, 2007 were approved.
    2.2 Matters arising:

Action Points:
2.2.1 MW reported that she had spoken with John Gilby who confirmed that it would be feasible to host the disaster planning bibliography on the M25 website. Arrangements for updating were not clear, but John will contact the person responsible.

2.2.2  NB had spoken with Liz Chapman about assisting with the work on research collections. She had agreed to carry out a feasibility study and will be invited to present it at the December meeting.

2.2.3 GC asked for clarification of the proposal that she and John Gilby arrange to highlight key projects more on the M25 website. It was agreed that this will be revisited after the new Plan had been agreed at the Members’ meeting in January.

2.2.4 GC reported that she had amended the document on the website about membership obligations re: the M25 Access & Borrowing scheme and had written an article in the current e-bulletin to inform members.

2.2.5 MW was yet to produce a guidance document to Chairs of WGs. It will be available by the December meeting.
Action: MW to complete guidance document for next SG meeting.

2.2.6 MW stated that she had not received formal confirmation that the AIM25 project extension was to go ahead. She had emailed Patricia Methven – but had not yet received a response. She reminded members that John Gilby was to be the technical adviser to the project and that a member of the SG was to be appointed to sit on the Project Board.
Action: SG to appoint a member to sit on the AIM25 Project Board.

[Post-meeting note: Confirmation has now been received that the necessary funding has been received and the AIM25 extension project will go ahead.]

2.2.7 JW reported that due to work commitments he was not able to fulfil another year  on the Steering Group, as had previously been agreed.

3. Strategic and Action Plans 2007/08 – 2008/09 (Nick Bevan)
3.1 Members were asked to review and where necessary comment on changes made to the plans.

After some discussion, the main section of the Plan was agreed, with a few amendments. NB will update it and circulate the amended document to SG members. NB advised Working Group Chairs that they were expected to meet with their groups to complete their sections of the Action Plan and email them to GC so that it could be collated in time for sign-off by the December 2007 SG meeting. The plan will be taken to the January meeting to be ratified by the membership.

Action: NB to update the plans and circulate them to the SG.
WG Chairs to update their sections of the key projects and email to GC by 4th December.

4. Chairs and Membership of Working Groups   (Maureen Wade)
NB advised that AE was to be appointed the new Chair of the Collaboration & Partnership WG, while Julie Howell was to take over as Chair of the Quality WG. MW agreed to inform the groups of the appointment of the two new chairs.

The need to send out a request for new members of working groups was highlighted. Chairs were asked to send MW a note of additional members needed, highlighting any particular skills or experience required, by the end of October.

In response to JW’s inability to continue as Chair of the LHL & M25 Joint WG, NB noted the difficulty of finding a Director-level Representative to chair such a specialist group. He noted that this is essentially a collaboration and partnership activity and proposed that it be linked with that working group, possibly as a sub-group. This was agreed.

Action:  MW to advise members of the Collaboration & Partnership and Quality WG’s about the appointment of the new chairs.
Chairs to send requests (including skills and experience required) for new members to MW by October 31.
MW to issue a call for new members of working groups.

5. Access & Borrowing Scheme    (Caroline Lloyd)
Members were asked to receive a report on the M25 Access & Borrowing Scheme as follows:
5.1 Annual Report – 2006/07
5.2 Principles of the Access & Borrowing Scheme

CL reported that the scheme had operated smoothly over the past year but with continued low usage. Approximately 15 cards were issued by the 9 libraries who are part of the scheme, over the 2006/07 academic year. CL noted that, although overall usage was low, those members who used the scheme found it very valuable.

CL stated that, with her new role as Treasurer of the Consortium, she wished to hand over the coordination of this scheme to another member of the SG. It was agreed that one of the additional members to be elected in November/December should be asked to take the lead on access and borrowing.

6. Programme for January 2008 Consortium meeting  (Maureen Wade)
MW reminded the group of the intention to focus the January 2008 meeting programme on services for researchers. A number of libraries were highlighted as possibilities for presentations on special collections, including:
– The Women’s Library
– Special collections at UEL
– The Wiener Library Institute of Contemporary History

MW suggested that following the success of the June meeting, breakout sessions could be used for AP and the Task & Finish group to canvass members for their ideas about new services the Consortium could provide for them.

Action: MW to contact potential presenters and circulate a draft programme to the SG by email.

7. Key Projects for 2007/08 Update
7.1
M25 Task & Finish Group – Member Services (Anne Poulson)
AP presented draft terms of reference for the Task & Finish Group on Services to Members –these were agreed. She advised that the group will be formed for two years in the first instance and will meet every two months. In light of the short timescale, it was agreed that AP could select the membership of the group rather than waiting for a general call for members to be made.

Action: AP to contact GC with further information about the group and its membership, for posting on the M25 website.

7.2 WAM25 – Walk in Access Project Update (Maureen Wade)
MW reported that she had heard from HEFCE regarding the WAM25 bid ; they have asked that it be taken forward to the feasibility study stage. MW and John Gilby are to meet with a JISC representative who will be looking after the project for HEFCE, to clarify the next stage in the process.
NB noted that the SG needed to begin thinking about the process for selecting the six libraries to take part in the pilot for walk-in access.

Action: MW to report on the progress of the project at the next SG meeting.

7.3 Financial Consultants’ Report    (Nick Bevan)
NB reported that the financial consultants had advised that the M25 Consortium would not be liable to VAT charges if the three entities were merged into one, ie InforM25, M25 and CPD25.
It was proposed that the governance documents (Articles of Association and Memorandum of Association) be looked at more closely and revised, taking into account any changes and also seeking to simplify and shorten them. The consultants could then be asked to check them, prior to their coming to December SG and then the January Consortium meeting for approval.

Action: NB/MW to consider revisions to the AoA and MoA documents.

8. Financial matters      (Caroline Lloyd)
CL reported that the Consortium’s reserves continued to be at a healthy  level. GC confirmed that the M25 Membership invoices had been prepared and would be sent out to the members shortly.

9. CPD25 Report      (Mary Nixon)
9.1 Members were asked to note the survey report assessing the current state of staff development policy and practice in the academic libraries in the UK.
MN reported that Suzy Ball will be the full-time CPD25 Administrator from 1 October. She also advised that the CPD25 Director’s Packs would be sent out at the beginning of October.

10. Oral Reports from Working Groups
10.1
Collaboration & Partnership
The group has been without a Chair since the last SG meeting.

10.2 Marketing & Communications     Frances Norton
FN reported that the group was due to sign off the 2006/07 Annual Report at the next meeting which was scheduled for the following day. She also noted that the group was considering producing M25 Christmas cards and also planned to revisit the idea of the M25 prize. In discussion it was noted that any prize scheme would have to have clear guidelines and procedures and be transparent. MW noted that a similar scheme at LSE had involved a significant amount of preparatory work and highlighted the need for clear criteria

Action: FN agreed to prepare a more detailed paper on the proposed M25 prize, for the next SG meeting.

10.3 Quality     Adam Edwards
The group had not met since the last SG meeting.

10.4 Resource Discovery     William Marsterson
WM reported that the group was in need of new members. He noted that it would be useful if new members had experience in user services or promotion of e-resources. He agreed to check on specific skills gaps in the present membership at the next RDWG meeting. He suggested that prospective members be asked to submit a paragraph about what they do and the skills they can bring to the group.

10.5 London Health Libraries & M25 Consortium Joint Working Group      John Wolstenholme
JW reported that he had met with Richard Osbourne and they had discussed how the LHL/M25 relationship could be taken forward.
In response to a proposal from JW, it was agreed that AE should meet with JW and Richard Osbourne on 26th October to discuss the future of the LHL & Joint M25 WG.
MW suggested that after the meeting AE should nominate a member of the C&P WG with relevant experience to be the link between LHL and M25. If necessary AE would recruit a new member to the group with the requisite experience.

Action: AE to attend a meeting with the WG on 26th October and feedback to the December SG meeting.
AE to identify a person in the C&P WG to be the link between the M25 and LHL

10.6 Note report submitted by the M25 Systems Team.
WM expressed concern that the Systems Team is actually a team of one, in the person of John Gilby, and in light of the increasing projects which will involve technical involvement, noted the heavy workload including his current work commitments.
A suggestion was made to establish a call-out database of people with particular areas of expertise who would be able to fill in some gaps. E.g. people with Z39 expertise.
AP agreed to take up this idea via the new Task and Finish group.

11. Matters for next Steering Group meeting
• Strategic & Action Plan, with input from Working Groups
• Draft revised Articles of Association and Memorandum of Association
• Programme for January 2008 members meeting
• Report from Liz Chapman on the feasibility of a research collections database
• WAM25 Project update
• Marketing & Communications – M25 Prize Options paper
• Report from AE on meeting with LHL & M25 Joint WG

12. Any other business
NB thanked FN and the Wellcome for hosting the meeting.

Summary of Action Points
1) MW to complete WG guidance document for next SG meeting.
2) SG to appoint a member to sit on the AIM25 project board.
3) NB to update the plans and circulate them to the SG.
4) WG Chairs to update their sections of the Action Plan and email to GC by 4th December.
5) MW to advise members of the Collaboration & Partnership and Quality WG’s about the appointment of the new chairs.
6) Chairs to send requests (including skills gaps) for membership to MW by October 31.
7) MW to issue a call for new members of working groups.
8) MW to contact member libraries for presenters on their special collections and circulate a draft programme to the SG by email.
9) AP to contact GC with further information about the Task & Finish group and its membership, for posting on the M25 website.
10) MW to report on the progress of the WAM25 project at the next SG meeting.
11) NB/MW to consider revisions to the AoA and MoA documents.
12) FN to prepare a more detailed paper about the proposed M25 prize, for the next SG meeting.
13) AE to attend a meeting with the JW and Richard Osbourne on 26th October and report back to the December SG meeting.
14) AE to identify a person in the C&P WG to be the link between the M25 and LHL